Sign in to follow this  
JiB

E30 Centre Bore Size?

Had a quick search on here, couldn't find an answer. Google seems to think it is either 57.1mm or 59mm. Which is it?

Are E30's hubcentric or lugcentric? I think I will need some E30 Size to 67mm hubcentric locating rings. Odd size...will probably have to get some made up - any engineering shop will do?

And does it matter what the rings are made of? I ran aluminium ones on my old car, but I see heaps of people using plastic ones - I'm guessing both are just as durable for race use?

Hubcentric-ish (I had this discussion on the weekend and there was speculation that it could just be that it helps to have the hubs locate so you can put the stupid wheel bolts in - studs rule, bolts suck).

I dunno - my 2002 hasn't got them, but I'm sure someone will chime in to say it took their car from feeling horrible to awesome. Either way, you only need plastic. It's only for a WOF - if non-hubcentric is ok for a 350hp 1.35 tonne Rover for racing, its probably ok for you.

Size is 57.1 - I measured. You can certainly get them in the USA (for less than NZ$20 - edit - that's plastic).

Edited by CamB

I had alloy ones custom made. Cost $80-90 from memory, so if Glenns ones fit, do it.

Hubcentric-ish (I had this discussion on the weekend and there was speculation that it could just be that it helps to have the hubs locate so you can put the stupid wheel bolts in - studs rule, bolts suck).

I dunno - my 2002 hasn't got them, but I'm sure someone will chime in to say it took their car from feeling horrible to awesome. Either way, you only need plastic. It's only for a WOF - if non-hubcentric is ok for a 350hp 1.35 tonne Rover for racing, its probably ok for you.

Size is 57.1 - I measured. You can certainly get them in the USA (for less than NZ$20 - edit - that's plastic).

necessary...drive an e34 with e 39 wheels with out them to fiond out why...

Zenneti you have PM.

also (as i understand it) the reason some cars don't need them is because they are lugcentric, so if the wheel is centred the lug/studs can take the weight of the car.

Others may use the hub flange as a load bearing device, so the studs may be flexing when load is placed on them, thus moving them out of centre causing vibrations, etc.

but all cars shake when the wheel is not centred - common sense. Much harder to centre a wheel with bolts than studs, though the tapered bolts help seat the wheel in the right place if tightened slowly.

necessary...drive an e34 with e 39 wheels with out them to fiond out why...

Maybe so, but I don't buy the argument that hubcentric rings mean the hub is taking the weight rather than the bolts and their conical seats - most hub rings are plastic. There is no way they - or 5mm thick alloy - is doing the job of supporting the 400-500kg (on a 5 series) over each of the front wheels.

I do believe they make it easy to centre the wheel on the hub though.

(edit - bolts not studs)

Edited by CamB

Maybe so, but I don't buy the argument that hubcentric rings mean the hub is taking the weight rather than the studs and their conical seats - most hub rings are plastic. There is no way they - or 5mm thick alloy - is doing the job of supporting the 400-500kg (on a 5 series) over each of the front wheels.

I do believe they make it easy to centre the wheel on the hub though.

bit of both i beleive....