Sign in to follow this  
lowrev

M3 or ACS ... Confused?

To all fellow members, I have a dilemma on my mind, what is a good approach to enhancing the appearance of my plain-jane bimmer, M3 or AC Schnitzer? I know those are two distinct types of enhancement but which would be the best? Thanks for all inputs.

To all fellow members, I have a dilemma on my mind, what is a good approach to enhancing the appearance of my plain-jane bimmer, M3 or AC Schnitzer? I know those are two distinct types of enhancement but which would be the best? Thanks for all inputs.

There's no correct answer. M3 is proven to look good but more common. ACS not so common but can be more subjective depending on the kit. Remember you can do a combination of kits between the two if you like, unless you want to make a full M3 or ACS replica.

Just depends on what you like really.

Thank you Mpulsive. If I go the ACS way I'll be sourcing my kits thru Mag and Tyre Direct. Their kits are excellent, right? :D

My car sports a combo of ACS and M3 bits... they work quite well together actually. Have fun with your quest to make your car look the biz, just take your time and never rush body mods as you can often end up making your car looking as if a whole bunch of parts were just thrown at it with no thought for the end product.

My car sports a combo of ACS and M3 bits... they work quite well together actually. Have fun with your quest to make your car look the biz, just take your time and never rush body mods as you can often end up making your car looking as if a whole bunch of parts were just thrown at it with no thought for the end product.

I know what you mean that's why I'm in no hurry as I will be focusing on the ones that needs urgent attention like the tidying up of the interior as parts need to be replaced. Thanks for all the input, guys. :D

so fibreglass bumpers etc are a no go. any thoughts on polypropylene bits? do they have many cons as opposed to getting abs bumpers?

Go ACS! seems like the M-sport is a hellova lot more common. And The pin striping is Mean IMO.

The mag and tyre kits look to be pretty close to the ACS although i havent seen them in person.

so fibreglass bumpers etc are a no go. any thoughts on polypropylene bits? do they have many cons as opposed to getting abs bumpers?

Fibreglass pieces are heavier and often require more work to fit properly. ABS and Poly bits are more expensive but fit better.

M3 is not a body kit option M sport or M tecknik is ACS can be a bit heavy in their styling which IMO does not work well on E30 and E36 models, okay on 39 46 etc

I agree, ACS kits dont work well on e30s and can be a bit heavy........ ;)

post-204-1219899458_thumb.jpg

Edited by Riley

M3 is not a body kit option M sport or M tecknik is ACS can be a bit heavy in their styling which IMO does not work well on E30 and E36 models, okay on 39 46 etc

Sorry about that, I just realized it now. :D ... M-Sport is the bodykit. What do you mean by "a bit heavy in their styling"? Cheers

I guess what Ron means is that they overdo it?

Look at Mark's car for example, ACS wheels and diffuser with M Sport front, sides and mirrors... looks great. And don't forget ACS makes a few types of bits for each part of the car. For example you have Mark's ACS diffuser which replaces the standard diffuser on the non-M rear bumper, or you can get a full rear bumper cover that you glue on to the rear bumper to cover everything below the mouldings. Same goes for the front - there's a lip that bolts on, or a whole cover that's glued to the bumper.

I have not had a fibreglass kit before but fibreglass is supposed to be inferior to polyurethane as it cannot flex as much so if you hit something it will crack. That said, I'm sure there are varying grades of fibreglass, as with polyurethane - so see if the others jump in with more info. I'm no expert but I would personally go with a polyurethane kit as it looks to be closest to OEM material.

At the end of the day choose what you like best, it's your car :)

Edited by Mpulsive

Just to clear things up. :P

polypropylene = material in clothing designed to wick moisture away from body and keep you dry and warm.

POLYURETHANE (PU) = flexible plastic material used for bodykits etc

Propane - American word for LPG :P

Polyurethane kits are superior to fibreglass kits in that they can flex, however they are far more expensive to produce and there are only limited styles available on the market. While easier to fit they do require a lot more prep when it comes to painting. Because they are designed to flex you need to put on a special primer otherwise the paint will crack as soon as the kit moves.

FRP(fibreglass) kits are easier and cheaper to produce and as has been mentioned there are various quality kits around. Our kits seem to be at the better end of the quality scale, we have fitted a number of the E36 kits now and our panelbeaters have commented on how well the kits fit.

cheers

Johno

Edited by zenetti