Sign in to follow this  
swiggs

540 motorsprt good or not??

Hi people. I have almost traded my 1995 740i for a 2001 540i motorsport. Both cars as far as I know are stock standard etc. I am just wondering before I decide to fully go to the 540 motorsport model is there anything I should know. I really love the 740i I already have. Such a nice looking power unit that drives the best of any car I have ever driven, and it has 200+K on the clock but jut goes every time i use it. I drive alot of brand new cars every day and the 740i is by far still on top - its a credit to BMW. But will the 540i motorsport be like this. Also what should I watch out for with this model bla bla bla....

Any input would be awesome.

basically same engine(and g box if auto) and many of the cars switchgear etc will be identical.The 540 motosport wont ride as nicely as the 7 but will handle better.This assumes that everything else is equal ie that the 540 has had as much care as yur 7 must have had....

Don't some of the 95 e38's have the m60? Or have I got them mixed up?

yes my 95 740 is a m60 engie, so a 4.0L.

Ive driven this car and it drives well and handels awesome.

Will get a pic of it shortly fo ru to see.

Are there many people here with a 540i M-sport

Your 740 is a 4 litre isnt it so you'll find the 540 noticeably faster-helped of course by the fact that its lighter.

Kiwi535 is right-the rides firmer but if it has EDC not that different-personally I always turn mine off .Good round town but crap if you're having fun on the windy bits.

The 540's more a performance car & rides & handles accordingly whereas the 7 is definitely a cruiser so it depends what you want.

You can fool with your head trying to compare them.

As to what to look out for-the same things you would with a 7 particularly the cooling system which will almost certainly F*** out around 100k,pixels,bushes etc.

Having said that,if its well maintained etc not really any big minuses.

Go on - Do it & join the 540 club-you'll love it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And an M sport too-cooooooooool.

Yes I am joining the 540 club I think. A 2001 motorsport is kinda a hot car to be honest.

Will be a fun car to ride in i feel

Yes I am joining the 540 club I think. A 2001 motorsport is kinda a hot car to be honest.

Will be a fun car to ride in i feel

Bugger the ride in-thats for the wife.(if she's allowed)Driving its the fun part :P

Buy a 540! I love my new car its got MSport bits on it handles great, cruises great and makes the 328 seem sluggish!

Hi people. I have almost traded my 1995 740i for a 2001 540i motorsport. Both cars as far as I know are stock standard etc. I am just wondering before I decide to fully go to the 540 motorsport model is there anything I should know. I really love the 740i I already have. Such a nice looking power unit that drives the best of any car I have ever driven, and it has 200+K on the clock but jut goes every time i use it. I drive alot of brand new cars every day and the 740i is by far still on top - its a credit to BMW. But will the 540i motorsport be like this. Also what should I watch out for with this model bla bla bla....

As others have already mentioned the 540 has the 4.4litre engine,but after owning both cars I can tell you the 540motosport will blow the pants off your 740 especially in the handling area.Motosport suspension and the rest of the package work extremly well.Due to this the smaller car feels alot quicker.The only problem I ever had was a worn out water pump.Strong engines and transmission.Good luck.

Read the ultimate E39 guide. Tells you everything

Typical issues, all of which I experienced:

1. Water pump failure. Replace with new one ASAP

2. Door dust seals under door panel fail, water leaks into rear footwell. Easy DIY with new BMW butyl rubber seal.

3. Pixel failures on the Check Control display. Again a DIY if you want

4. Washer pump motor for intensive cleaner leaks. Easy DIY replacement.

6. Idle control valve on M62 (but not on M62TU) gets clogged and sticky. Easy clean with carb cleaner, easy DIY

7. Broken clips and side panel on drivers seat. Replace seat panel (plastic)

8. Broken rear cupholders. Replace with storage pocket. Cheap and easy DIY.

9. Minor coolant seapage around heater valves in engine bay. Replace O-rings with next service.

And if your car is ex-Japan, I have all the info to convert radio, nav, TV and telephone to NZ.

Latest TotalBMW with the E34's on the front cover has a buyers guide to the E39 V8. But Jochen has listed many of the points raised in the article already.