Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

X5 Navigation ex. Japan

Jochen?

Does anyone have any info on how to convert the Jap nav to the NZ version? The guy I bought the car from rekon'd it can be done by chucking in the DVD provided by BMW NZ, but have heard that the player itself & other things had to be replaced?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

PM Hotwire on this forum-he's the man.

Jochen?

Does anyone have any info on how to convert the Jap nav to the NZ version? The guy I bought the car from rekon'd it can be done by chucking in the DVD provided by BMW NZ, but have heard that the player itself & other things had to be replaced?

Any info would be much appreciated.

Cheers.

Easy peasy, I've done loads:

1. Change nav DVD unit (the actual nav computer in the boot) from Jap version to Euro version

2. Modify wiring to match

3. Insert NZ map

PS: you can also change the radio:

pre 2001-909 = replace radio tuner

post 2001-09 = reprogram radio tuner, with fingers, no tools required.

All work occurs in the boot.

Easy peasy, I've done loads:

1. Change nav DVD unit (the actual nav computer in the boot) from Jap version to Euro version

2. Modify wiring to match

3. Insert NZ map

PS: you can also change the radio:

pre 2001-909 = replace radio tuner

post 2001-09 = reprogram radio tuner, with fingers, no tools required.

All work occurs in the boot.

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant, do you have any idea on pricings for the job, it's a 2001 X5 4.4i sportpac.

Cheers Jochen

Brilliant, absolutely brilliant, do you have any idea on pricings for the job, it's a 2001 X5 4.4i sportpac.

Cheers Jochen

buy the dvd unit (mark iv) or mark III of ebay (i bet jochen will pot up some links),the mk 3 is an older unit and uses cd instead of dvd,would think mk 3 would be ok for nZas our map is only i cd as opposed to say the US which is several.I am sure Jochen will come back with the advantages of each,Mk 3 cheaper than mk iv

Cheers Jochen

Think we were talking on the phone earlier about this - if so - price options pretty much as I mentioned.

Cheers

Grant

buy the dvd unit (mark iv) or mark III of ebay (i bet jochen will pot up some links),the mk 3 is an older unit and uses cd instead of dvd,would think mk 3 would be ok for nZas our map is only i cd as opposed to say the US which is several.I am sure Jochen will come back with the advantages of each,Mk 3 cheaper than mk iv

Yep, both work, Mk4 much better in that it has split screen option (last of Mk3 does too) has perspective view option, & has a much faster processor, also takes up to current version software.

Yep Mk3 is a considerably cheaper option & works fine - a little more vulnerable to to failing than the 4.

Be aware on Ebay that some units are programmed for monochrome & wont work without reprogramming to colour with Jochen's Navcoder programme.

Thanks Grant, still considering things, but will most likely take the $1000 option at this stage. Sorry if it sounds like I'm going behind your back but I did put two and two together with your username on TM and here. Pays to be proactive with these things & do the research :)

Cheers.

No prob, happy to help you out if & when it suits.

Cheers

Cheers, have included a few pics if it makes things any easyer.

post-2864-1219655357_thumb.jpg

post-2864-1219655377_thumb.jpg

post-2864-1219655400_thumb.jpg

post-2864-1219655410_thumb.jpg

post-2864-1219655419_thumb.jpg

Yep, Jap system.

As I said & Jochen varified on here - the only part requiring changing is the Jap nav unit in the back - easy.

Radio - as said - depends on build date in 01 as to whether it has a dedicated market tuner or the later world market unit.

Last 7 digits of chassis code & I can varify build date.

Yep, Jap system.

As I said & Jochen varified on here - the only part requiring changing is the Jap nav unit in the back - easy.

Radio - as said - depends on build date in 01 as to whether it has a dedicated market tuner or the later world market unit.

Last 7 digits of chassis code & I can varify build date.

Cool so its $1000 for the nav unit & the DVD?

Mk4 navs were fitted from about November 2002

If your car has a build date of Nov 2002 or later, then it would have come ex factory with a Mk4 (if it was a Euro or NZ-spec car).

You're hugely better off with the Mk4, its heaps better than a Mk3.

New price for a Mk4 is $6,000, excluding fitting, plugs, and map disc.

Compare with hotwire's price....

Cheers, have included a few pics if it makes things any easyer.

The photos confirm, without a doubt, that you car is ex-Japan.

Otherwise they don't say much, but I'd guess the age of the car to be pre 2001.

Am I right?

Hi Grant, it is an 01 but not sure pre the build date you need.

Last 7 digits are:

LH61757

Hope this helps???

Build date - 11/2000

Thanks Nick.

Has 2001 on the registration? Just the way they do it I suppose.

Cheers.

Thanks Nick.

Cheers.

all that means it was first registered in 2001 which makes sense seeing it prolly didnt actually get delivered till dec 2000...

Thanks Nick.

Cheers.

LH61757 =

P E53 SAV X5 4.4i M62 ECE 20001100 R N

Production Code: FB32, batch ID: 47741

Your car is a passenger vehicle, model E53, SAV (Sport Action Vehicle), labelled "X5", has the 4.4L M62 V8 motor, is the ECE (not USA) model, left the factory floor in 2000, Month 11 (November), is RHD, and I forget what the "N" means.

It left the factory floor in Germany in November 2000, and it takes time to ship it by sea from Germany to Japan. It probably arrived in Japan at the port in the last week of December or early 2001. Then add time for cleaning and pre-delivery checks.

So no surprise that it was first registered in 2001.

Anyway: ex factory, the car would have had a Mk3 nav unit.

And to change the radio it is a physical swap of the radio module, in the boot, inside the spare wheel well. Very easy.

Edited by jochen