Sign in to follow this  
Apex

E60 Detachable Towball

I gave the car a “quick†clean on the weekend after getting a some stone chips removed and the bumpers realigned and thought I would tackle my mags with some polish and wax and clean my suspension and breaks, when looking for the lock nut I found a odd shaped thing in the tool box, a tow ball, having not realised I had one im pretty stoked! It has the bonus of self levelling suspension also.

This is great as I need to move a few things around next weekend and was going to borrow a mate’s car to tow a hire trailer.

There is no info as to how it works and it looks as if it has never been used! The first owner of this car must have just ticked every option for the sake of having them :wacko: Im finding new options every week.

Does anyone have a link as to how to insert this odd shaped detachable tow bar or any info in regards to what the tow rate would be??

Just thought I’d ask to save a call to BMW.

Thanks

I gave the car a “quick†clean on the weekend after getting a some stone chips removed and the bumpers realigned and thought I would tackle my mags with some polish and wax and clean my suspension and breaks, when looking for the lock nut I found a odd shaped thing in the tool box, a tow ball, having not realised I had one im pretty stoked! It has the bonus of self levelling suspension also.

This is great as I need to move a few things around next weekend and was going to borrow a mate’s car to tow a hire trailer.

There is no info as to how it works and it looks as if it has never been used! The first owner of this car must have just ticked every option for the sake of having them :wacko: Im finding new options every week.

Does anyone have a link as to how to insert this odd shaped detachable tow bar or any info in regards to what the tow rate would be??

Just thought I’d ask to save a call to BMW.

Thanks

it somehows attaches behind the rear bumper,there will be a cover in the middle of your bumper cover....Ollie went through this a while ago on his e 34..you might want to check the respective ball sizes of your tow ball and the trailer...Surely BMW is the easiest way?

You do realise that you can get the car's build sheet from the dealer? And it's most likely that they won't charge you for printing one out!

it somehows attaches behind the rear bumper,there will be a cover in the middle of your bumper cover....Ollie went through this a while ago on his e 34..you might want to check the respective ball sizes of your tow ball and the trailer...Surely BMW is the easiest way?

Thanks, it has a removable centre cover and from the looks of it just slips in and screws up, it also has a plug for the trailer lights that must activate to self leavening system.

BMW don’t have any info or even a listed option on their web page nor does the owner’s manual have any info.

I will have a go and do a how to for future reference.

You do realise that you can get the car's build sheet from the dealer? And it's most likely that they won't charge you for printing one out!

Will ask when I there next time. Thanks.

You'd be stoked because I priced up a tow bar for my old E60 and it was just over 2grand!

Most of the money is in the little unit they have to fit so it doesn't disturb the DSC

My E60 had a cover in the middle of the rear bumper & it attached behind there somehow. It may require q quick call to the BMW dealership & surely someone would be able to show you.

Ah I’ll figure it out, just thought I check for a bit of local knowledge before calling BMW and asking them for the info.

The Non M cars seem to have an electronic swing retractable tow bar whilst the M’s have to be done manually.

Either way that’s an expensive knob, I’ll add that to the list of options I have found on this car, it would have had over 20K of options on the bloody thing.

i went in to Jeff Grays once and it took the guy about 30 seconds..log in.... punch in the chassis number..bingo..print

Will ask when I there next time. Thanks.

i have a contact at jeff gray...he will do it for me if you give me(pm me if you like) the vin