Sign in to follow this  
$toffz

Help? :(

Morning Folks,

Story goes, went to drop a mate off from my house, drove to Mobil on Oteha Valley Rd. Car running sweet, but low on gas (Low enough that light comes on), pull into Mobil put in $40 98 (Car was on Shell 96). Turn car on fine, car develops stutter and splutter (like miss fire), nana'd all way home (less than 1km).

During drive home car seems to clear its throat then drive fine, but splutter comes back. Car seems to right itself then splutter comes back. Left it over night, turned car on idles cold fine, the splutter comes back.

I'm thinking possibly three simple things I can check myself (very poor mechnical skills).

1. Check didnt put wrong petrol in? I definitly did not put diesel in, can remember holding purple pump. Rang gas station just to check possibility of wrong product in their tank, they said no as i was the only one to ring up. Also car runs alright at low rpm.

2. PEtrol filter got muck in from bottom of tank? Could someone tell me where the petrol filter is?(Much apprecaited)

3. Spark plugs - Will check these after writing this.

What would come to mind for you folks?

Cheers

Sorry for the essay.

Almost exact same thing has been happened to me a couple of times this week. especially when its cold, feels like its going to stall but then after 5 or so mins its fine

Check Spark Plugs and Petrol Filter.

Petrol filter is below the fuse box on left side of engine bay.

i'd replace it anyway, chances are no-one has for a long time and they are only $20 or something, just make sure you put it in the right way round.

also listen to the fuel pump, see if it cuts out intermittently or is extremely noisy.

if none of this solves your problem i'd say it is a fuel relay or ignition wiring problem, to test you need to jump a wire from the positive side of the battery to the positive side of the coil and see if this fixes it.

Good luck

ok i'm reading the haynes manual online here and its stating i need to pressurise the fuel system before I remove any hoses. This sound right to you folks?

my bad depressurise.

I had the same sounding problem, ended getting mine taken to christchurch BMW for them to sort it out they believed it was the fuel pump and replaced it flush my lines etc. after all that still had the same problem, they then dicovered it was my air flow meter getting clogged up from dirt and sh*t getting through a pod filter, got a new air flow meter been sweet since it got replaced but have to get the factory filter box back on to stop it happening again maybe you could have a similar problem, if not hope you find an answer to your problem.

Change petrol filter (And rather proud of myself - yes i'm amateur :P ), it wasnt the problem.

Dropped it of at Bellars this morning, was a stuffed distributor cap and cracked lead.

All fixed and serviced :)

The Baron is back on the road.

Thanks for the help guys.