Sign in to follow this  
tire

I found some water in my E30

This arvo I noticed the right rear footwell was a little damp. I pulled the edge of the carpet up and yep there was some water in the foam so out same the seats for a good look. There is dampness in the drivers footwell also. Nothing on the left.

I understand water = rust after time so I want to get on to this and maintain the 100% rust free status of my E30. That will obviously involve drying out the floor carpet, but I want to know is there anything further I should do to the floor pans or carpet to stop anything from setting in?

Also where the water has come from is a big mystery. Its certainly not coming from the sunroof or anywhere else above as the liner is totally dry and there are no stains up there or water trails down the pillars. So maybe its come through those floor vents under where the front seat usually is... what are they actually for and where do they come from?? It's most likely because I hadnt fully closed the door over a rainy night or something but it pays to check.

Question 3: Can anyone recommend an interior shampoo and process with which to use it? I want to take the chance to make all the upholstery super fresh and get rid of some grease smudges (cream interior ftl)

Thank you!

Hay

I would suggest pulling up your carpet and letting it completly dry out before shampooing or anything, i just used a dehumidifyer in my car i know it sounds stupid but gets the mosture out of everything

and itl prob be your heater i have had that with quite a few of my cars, it seems to come from the randonist places at time

but if you have carpet up i would block heater pipes and run the heater alltho youll only get cold air and see if you get any water if not thats prob what it will be

Drivers side water is normally from the battery tray, holes in the back, or from the boot. If you park with the back higher than the front you can get water coming in through the boot, and running into the back footwell and then the front. Pull your back seat up and look for signs of water under it, if so, that's your problem. Good luck.

ps, heater leaks are normally on the passengers side, that's where all the connections are.

Might not help but I had the same thing on my E46 (totally different car I know).

Mine was that it pooled water into the rear footwell.

I finally got to the bottom of mine, when parked uphill (with the front higher) water was running into it's usual channel to the right of the windscreen (drivers side). However a plastic part was broken off at the back and there was lots of debris blocking the normal run channel. The debris was causing the water to pool in there and it was running out of the back (due to the broken plastic part) then it runs down the back of the firewall and was getting into the interior.

It was entering next to the pedals but running to the back of the car and pooling in the footwell. I had an inch of rainwater sitting there after a particularily wet weekend.

Might be a long shot, but check that your usual run channels aren't blocked. And that you haven't got any broken parts like mine had. The interiors aren't sealed everywhere just where they (bmw) expect the water go be running.

Good luck with finding your leak - it takes an age I can tell you.

Best way to dry it out is to use a high pwered wet and dry vac and stick the nozzle directly over the floormat holes (if the E30s have any at the back). Worked a treat on mine, and saves you having to pull the carpets up.

Cheers

this may sound stupid but are all the widows right up?

i got caught out in my old e30 after my gf's little brother left the left rear window down about 5mm

and check your door and window rubbers, ive heard of the rear window seal leaking and making its way to the floor pan, you wont be able to see it leaking either

pull the seats and carpet out, jump inside and get someone to attack the car with the hose

good luck

jerm

Im going to dry it all out then see if it happens again. If it happens again I know there a leak somehwere. If it doesn't then I'll know I left a door open or a window down.

Anyone know what those floor vents are for??

Thanks for all the suggestions. :)

Good luck with finding your leak - it takes an age I can tell you.

+1

google is your friend, and theres a few threads on here about it. check sunroof drains, and the drain in the front bulkhead. mine turned out to be rusted drains from the inner roof, though i haven't heard of anyone else having that so doubt thats your issue.

pull your carpet out and sit in the car with someone covering your car in water with a hose.

+1

google is your friend, and theres a few threads on here about it. check sunroof drains, and the drain in the front bulkhead. mine turned out to be rusted drains from the inner roof, though i haven't heard of anyone else having that so doubt thats your issue.

pull your carpet out and sit in the car with someone covering your car in water with a hose.

Good hose idea I was thinking that too.

Bulkead? aka firewall?

I had this problem in the back of my e30 (4 door). It was because the plastic membrane behind the door card was all ripped up and water was getting in between the actual door and the door card.

Dean

This arvo I noticed the right rear footwell was a little damp. I pulled the edge of the carpet up and yep there was some water in the foam so out same the seats for a good look. There is dampness in the drivers footwell also. Nothing on the left.

I understand water = rust after time so I want to get on to this and maintain the 100% rust free status of my E30. That will obviously involve drying out the floor carpet, but I want to know is there anything further I should do to the floor pans or carpet to stop anything from setting in?

Also where the water has come from is a big mystery. Its certainly not coming from the sunroof or anywhere else above as the liner is totally dry and there are no stains up there or water trails down the pillars. So maybe its come through those floor vents under where the front seat usually is... what are they actually for and where do they come from?? It's most likely because I hadnt fully closed the door over a rainy night or something but it pays to check.

Question 3: Can anyone recommend an interior shampoo and process with which to use it? I want to take the chance to make all the upholstery super fresh and get rid of some grease smudges (cream interior ftl)

Thank you!

ps... its a 4 door pre fl.

E30 boots leak from new. The rubber seals well enough against the boot lid but does not seal properly where it seats against the body.

The sunroof drain pipes will also dump water in the foot well without the need for any water marks on the head lining. They can become blocked and/or cracked or fall off the nipple where they go out through the floor.

The drain in the air vent plenum can become blocked too, the plenum then fills with water, rusts then leaks into the cabin.

The tail light seals on pre facelift cars are made out of a rubber that looks a lot like wetsuit material and just like a wetsuit they absorb water rather than keeping it out.

Edited by Graeme

The rear seat underlay, drivers side, had water stains but they were long dry.

I pulled the boot to bits but couldn't find any trails.

I've poured water down all the sunroof drains and it comes out at all the right places. That doen't mean there stil wont be a leak though I guess.

For now I'm just going to dry it out and put everything back together. If the water comes back then I'll know somethings definitely leaking and I need to have a more thorough look.

Took the opportunity to give it a good vacuum so that was good. I found a .22 shell under the carpet :huh:

Wish me luck.

ps.. when removing the battery is it neg cable off first then positive, then when reinstalling positive cable back on first then neg? Anthing else I need to know about battery removal? I need it out to clean out all the gunge arounf it.

Have you checked heater core and loom rubbers in the firewall?

Yes, -ve off then +ve for removal then +ve on before -ve on install.

Thanks q

Bit of leakage around the battery tray hmmm

Tuns out the lhs weatherstrips had failed. I just put them in today after waiting an age for them to come from Germany. Question = is there any sealant stuff I should use with the new weatherstrips?

Cheers