Sign in to follow this  
DrphTa

exporting laws

Whats the deal with exporting a car these days? ie if you are planning on moving country and would like to take your vehicle with you. Do you have to own the vehicle for a certain period of time?

I have heard that you may have to own the car for 12 months before you can export? just a rumour?

thanks in advance

Ethan

I don't think there would be any laws for exporting. Only the laws in the country your importing it into. Just a thought.

Thanks for the fast reply

I have been researching a bit but cannot find anything involving lenth of ownership. must be a myth then eh. Anyway here is what i have been looking over http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4371

more advice would be appreciated though

country is aus btw, if you hadnt figured that out yet...

From past knowledge, you will get raped by import duties, luxury car tax and GST. The web site is useless but from what I just read, your vehicle will be taxed at the value a local valuer will put onto the car. I know they only import special cars ex Japan like GTRs as there is some law that says if a car was never imported by a dealer when launched, like a GTR, then you are allowed to bring them in with minimal tax. Unless you have a unique BMW that they never got, then you are pushing shite up a hill.

Suggest you send an email "Obtain a "VEHICLE IMPORT APPROVAL" from the Vehicle Safety Standards Branch of the Department of Transport and Regional Services. Phone: 1800 815 272 (Australia only) or (02) 6274 7506, Fax: (02) 6274 6013, email: [email protected]" stating what you want to bring with you and what are the indicative costs. If you have held it in NZ prior, you may get a better hearing. I would guess freight at $3k for a container ?

From past knowledge, you will get raped by import duties, luxury car tax and GST. The web site is useless but from what I just read, your vehicle will be taxed at the value a local valuer will put onto the car. I know they only import special cars ex Japan like GTRs as there is some law that says if a car was never imported by a dealer when launched, like a GTR, then you are allowed to bring them in with minimal tax. Unless you have a unique BMW that they never got, then you are pushing shite up a hill.

Suggest you send an email "Obtain a "VEHICLE IMPORT APPROVAL" from the Vehicle Safety Standards Branch of the Department of Transport and Regional Services. Phone: 1800 815 272 (Australia only) or (02) 6274 7506, Fax: (02) 6274 6013, email: [email protected]" stating what you want to bring with you and what are the indicative costs. If you have held it in NZ prior, you may get a better hearing. I would guess freight at $3k for a container ?

and bmws are worth much more over there...so you will be taxed at a rate equivalent to what your car is worth in the aussie market.

Hardly seems worth it ??

In some states in Aus modifications to a vehicle outside there standard specs is prohibited as well

I think you get raped with taxes & more if you havn't owned the vehicle longer than 12 months. We shipped a Celica convertible over to Melbourne & the taxes were huge, but the end result that 12k car here was 25k over there.

Hardly seems worth it ??

hmmm. everyone to there own opinion i guess. I have my eye on an m3, otherwise i probably wouldnt consider shipping.

thanks for the adivce

Not sure about Australia specifically, but you would expect to pay both import duties and GST on the value that their customs put on the car (regardless of what you paid here). However, if you have owner it for more than 12 months or 2 years (have heard both numbers in the past for different countries), you may get away with it as a personal property type import (as in not for commercial gain) - you would need to confirm this with Australian customs though (and keep all correspondence in writing!). Bear in mind that their auto industry is still relatively protected by import duties - so they are not as understanding about used imports as we are.

Where this could also come unstuck is if the car doesn't meet the ADR's - and this could happen if it was a used import in the first place. They will want to go over it with a fine tooth comb to make sure it meets the regs (at your cost) before giving you a rego (I know of the authorities removing headlamps and sending them to a test lab for verification!). I believe the NZ new models are the same as the Australian homologated version, and they may accept the first registered in NZ as also meeting the ADR's. Japanese imports sometimes have a different spec (one obvious example is HID headlamps - the Japanese ones don't always have headlamp washers which are required by ADR) which could make life hard and or expensive.

Best to check twice with the Australian authorities before you commit to this or you could end up with a car either crushed or on a boat back to NZ (with all the cost that entails) if it all turns sour....

Quick search on Google turns up with these....

http://www.customs.gov.au/webdata/resource...dePrivOwnMV.pdf

http://www.customs.gov.au/site/page.cfm?u=4371

It seems Customs look after bringing the car in, then there's WOF (whatever's in Oz called), rego and all which is looked after by a different department. Just like NZ.

It looks like you got a lot of reading ahead before you can do it. :)