Sign in to follow this  
Forrest

Rear Bumper Problems

I have a small problem, my car was optioned with a tow bar and now that I am going to be racing it, I have removed it, I now have no mounts to bolt the bumper to the car, i tried putting a bolt thru the hole on the top of the rear valance then into a thread i secured into the inside of the bumper. Im sure somebody else has encountered this and fixed it. Atm it works, just doesnt look as legit as it should. It is a facelift e30 also

Any help would be appreciated

Cheers, Nathan

Sounds upside down - hole should be on underside of bumper. not sure how it could be upside down tough as the bumper wouldn't match the guards. photo?

Sounds upside down - hole should be on underside of bumper. not sure how it could be upside down tough as the bumper wouldn't match the guards. photo?

Here are some photos, basically shows the bolt through the hole in the rear valance, going into a thread I put in the back on the bumper, it secures it, but isnt fixed entirely straight or properly.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Surely somebody knows how to do this, what do cars without a tow bar optioned do in regards to a bumper assembly? Its probably something really obvious excuse my n00bness. I did also think about chopping the tow bar up an using the mounts that the tow bar has to secure the bumper to, but i would prefer to keep the tow bar as a whole if possible.

Any help from anyone will be appreciated :)

post up quick pic of towbar.

Cars without towbar have an assembly mounted to the chassis which transfers shock loading to the chassis.

Mounting your bumper how you have will neither be legal for WOF or race series.

This is how it should look.

Edited by bravo

post up quick pic of towbar.

Cars without towbar have an assembly mounted to the chassis which transfers shock loading to the chassis.

Mounting your bumper how you have will neither be legal for WOF or race series.

This is how it should look.

Here you go:

Posted Image

I pretty much bodged it for the time being lol till I could find a solution, this could be the answer. Can I find those bumper mounting plates anywhere?? they look the same as the ones on the ends of the tow bar, someone will have some or a wreckers?

BTW thanks for the link, will adjust those as well. Yeah needa make sure its legit and so it dont fall off anywhere, that would be embarrasing !!

Yeah, non-towball cars have just the end plates. most guys would have cut the towbar off as it is unlikely you are going to need it on that car, or swapped it onto another car without a towball.

They have little or no resale value. I have two aftermarket tow balls I doubt I could sell.

I'll sell you a set of the mounts if you want, but the truth is someone in the race series may have some lying around that they'd give you.