Sign in to follow this  
M3_guy

NEED HELP! Installing Alpine 9855 to E36 M3

Hi after owning the car for 3 1/2 years with factory stereo unit and a bargain chance on trademe for a good 2nd hand alpine headunit I decided it was time that I gave it a much needed upgrade on the m3.

However...

on the 1st day I removed the old unit and installed the alpine and managed to power it up HOWEVER the speakers wont go....

so on 2nd day i got XXXXX-1 audio installer to by pass the factory amp and run 4 speakers straight from alpine headunit, it seemed sound ok...

but on 3rd day i decided it wasnt okay and without the high pitch and mid level bass it was starting to sound real dull so...

On 4th day (Today) I got another XXXXX-2 audio installer to wire back the amp with all 6 speakers + 4 tweaters (all factory btw) running from the amp. and here is the problem:

-The right bottom speaker and mid range is going but very weak compare to the left side, also right tweater not going.

-Everytime I turn on the ignition while the audio is on there is sudden explosion of noise from rear right speaker and from then on there is constantly annoying WIZZING noise... it really is annoying and the audio installer just left because he ran out of time... Bad Bad Customer Service I must say... charged me $70 but to be really honest if some one can sort this out or at least find out a definate cause so I can remedy it somehow, I will pay premium!

Can some one help???

I dont mind paying... 021 112 1985 PLEASE............... :(

Edited by M3_guy

I had a 9835 in my old e36 and the install was sweet. But my car didn't have a factory amp though.

Have you reset all the tone settings and re-adjust the timing from the Setup menu?

My install was done by PK Auto-electrical in Penrose, some of the top people in car audio installs but need to book a week or so in advance, best give them a call.

BTW, that second installer, ran out of time?!! What kind of an excuse is that? You shouldn't have to pay him, maybe save $20 for call out, as he didn't complete the job.

Is the factory amp a 10 channel or are there crossovers?

If there's only 4 sets of speaker wires running from the amp run the crossovers direct from the head unit.

Never worked on a e36 soundsystem before sorry..

You should be able to get it running directly from the head unit and have it sounding great.

If you don't want to do it yourself I can ask around to see who you should see in auckland. Too many useless car audio installers out there eh..

BTW - Nice head unit!

-Everytime I turn on the ignition while the audio is on there is sudden explosion of noise from rear right speaker and from then on there is constantly annoying WIZZING noise... it really is annoying and the audio installer just left because he ran out of time...

I'd say you have a short to ground on that speaker. Remember, the modern amplifiers are high-level balanced-transformerless-outputs (BTL), meaning there is 6VDC on each speaker wire. Never let a speaker wire connect to the chassis of the vehicle.

On the older cars, soem of the speaker wires are however connected directly to chassis/ground, as in those days, 15 to 20 years ago, high-power amps with BTL outputs were less common.

This means you cannot use the existing speaker wiring, you must run new wires from the stereo to each speaker.

And when running the new wires, you must make sure that they can never chaf or connect to the chassis of the car.

Measure all speaker wires with an ohmmeter - from each wire to vehicle chassis you should measure open-circuit.

ok, the whining noise is caused by having power cables too close to signal cables, They create an inductance between them and cause the wining interference.

Only other reason for the noise is if there amping an amped output from the head unit rather than using the rca output.

Being a factory amp you shouldnt need to run new wires at all.

if you have a weak speaker and a tweeter not woking its prob because there ment to be wired parallel on the same amp channel. As this will reduce resistance and allow for better sound output on the speaker.

I could do the work if you need charge 20$ per hour.

Im a qualified reged electrician and have been doing this kinda stuff for myself for years.

By the sounds of things it could take a while to clean up your past installers mess tho, as there should be no need for new cables etc, really just depends how much they have messed around with. its ridiculous that they left the job half done, my guess is that they didnt know what they were doing. so cant say how long it will take to do untill ive seen it.

i just retro fitted a modern jvc headunit to an orginal wirring and boot mounted amp in a e34 535i same type of system as used in the e36 . .

all works ok, just has to be done properly .

I could do the work if you need charge 20$ per hour.

Im a qualified reged electrician and have been doing this kinda stuff for myself for years.

By the sounds of things it could take a while to clean up your past installers mess tho, as there should be no need for new cables etc, really just depends how much they have messed around with. its ridiculous that they left the job half done, my guess is that they didnt know what they were doing. so cant say how long it will take to do untill ive seen it.

Hey it would be great if you can do that, Its really taking huge pleasure out of driving at the moment without my favourite tune.

You can contact me on 021 112 1985 or 021 982 980. I will be around city all day tomoro, or whenever you are able to.

Cheers!