Sign in to follow this  
pureboiracer

dam oil leaks.

have cleaned up the e46 engine today. it is the facelift model with the twin cam 4 pop 2 litre as the 318. i believe its a n46 or something. i have a couple of oil leaks. one was easy to find. it was the power steering resiviour lid missing. also found one around where the oil filter unit bolts to the block i think its number 6 in the following http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?mo...hg=11&fg=30

i also noticed one somewhere around the back right hand top corner. now i am not sure if its the vacume pump seal or the rocker cover gasket as i cannot see clearly enough. which would be the most lightly one?

ohh and to save me posting another thread i need all of the mensioned parts too. so if anyone has anything please let me know

cheers oli

More likely the rocker cover. You can try replacing the gasket, but you might find you have to replace the plastic rocker cover.... they warp... make sure you identify where the leak is first

Probibly best to get the engine spot less first then run up a few kms then recheck.Oil filter cap O-rings can seap and as you have mentioned the vacume pump o-rings do have a tendency to leak, both the o-ring between the pump and the head plus the pump back plate o-ring.Also the cap (looks like a bearing cap once the rocker cover has been removed)at the rear of the head over the vacume pump can leak which can be removed cleaned and resealed with a very thin film of sealant.Parts required: 2x o-rings, rocker cover gasket,2x spark plug tubes that go between rocker cover and head.