Sign in to follow this  
318Touring

Euro Licence Plate

Thinking about ordering something like this. However will I got into trouble during WOF and from the highway robbers (patrol)? This plate won't have 'NZ' on the left side, and font etc. won't be NZ standard (if the standard exists). Obviously it'll have my existing number on it.

If anyone knows, which is the best site to order from? Costs wise they are all almost the same.

Posted Image

UMM so your getting a euro plate with your existing rego made?

well i cant see a problem..it still displays your rego..the style may vary but its a cosmetic thing not a law thing...just like having a plastic trim round your normal plates doesnt affect anything

as for availability..as im aware only personalised plates do euro plates

so you have to get a personal plate with your own boring rego on it..if that can be done at all (doubt it)

cost bout $700 for a personal euro plate

"GO $ IT"

^ oh look i made a plate

:jap:

Those websites I included above made the plates for you for about NZ$100 incl. shipping to NZ.

Nah man, you can just get normal plates and upgrade it to Euro plates .. you don't need to get a personalised plated to get Euro's ... and getting those other euro plates should be perfectly legal ...

Having just brought my 740 over from the UK I have had alot of discussions with the LTSA about these Euro plates.

Having anything that isnt manufactured by the LTSA's own people and having anything other than the NZ symbol on the left is illegal and you can be stopped and fined for it.

However I saw an old MG (I think) the other week in Wellington that had an Eire europlate with the MG symbol in the right and the letters were a slightly different font I think too.

They said that although they are planning on allowing you to have your manufactures symbol on the right (and I think you can do this already with some manufacturers) that there are no plans to allow changes to the NZ symbol.

Of course you could always get a set done up and when it comes to WOF time etc you could _cough_ put your old kiwi plates back on ;)

Cheers

Martyn

Having just brought my 740 over from the UK I have had alot of discussions with the LTSA about these Euro plates.

Having anything that isnt manufactured by the LTSA's own people and having anything other than the NZ symbol on the left is illegal and you can be stopped and fined for it.

However I saw an old MG (I think) the other week in Wellington that had an Eire europlate with the MG symbol in the right and the letters were a slightly different font I think too.

They said that although they are planning on allowing you to have your manufactures symbol on the right (and I think you can do this already with some manufacturers) that there are no plans to allow changes to the NZ symbol.

Of course you could always get a set done up and when it comes to WOF time etc you could _cough_ put your old kiwi plates back on ;)

Cheers

Martyn

Plenty of other people do that, and just swap the plates brfore and after WOF time.

Seems to work ok, and I have never heard of anyone getting fined for having the 'wrong' euro plate.

Cheers

I think if it fits the NZ requirements then it should be legal .. ie reflection and size.

Yeah that's my intention too (swap to old plates for WOF).

I'd seen cars with different fornts on the plates. I think if English style plates will be illegal as the back has a yellow background?

Anyone here has got non-NZ manufactured Euro platea before?

martyyn, is yours a silver 740 with Euro plate BMW740?

Guest Spargo

Are you the guy that was asking about importing his BMW to NZ on the BMWCar forum?

> 318Touring wrote....

> martyyn, is yours a silver 740 with Euro plate BMW740?

Its offical name is Lach Silver which is the silver that has a slight tint of lavender (how girly) in it, and the UK plate that it travelled around on for a short time was GUI 2 740. I saw a plate with 740 the other day on trademe I think and it was 4k or something !

>Cilk Wurm wrote....

> Are you the guy that was asking about importing his BMW to NZ on the BMWCar forum?

That may have been me mate, but I cant honestly remember. I did post on here a couple of months ago before getting it all sorted so Im here now !

Here's a shot of what the car looked like when it came out of the container....its so far cost 7.5k in cleaning, bodywork, repairs and parts and the cost is still rising.

post-2-1092645598.jpg

Edited by martyyn

ahh eww your car is rotten

is that leather or carpet seats?

wat happend to it?

i chucked my e36 seats in today.. if anyone wants to know

but yea why is your interior like that?

Yep its all mould.

They packed the car whilst it was wet (in my opinion) and the wood they used to build a crate over the car to pack the rest of our stuff on was soaking wet too.

Although the insurance have paid up the shipping company have refused all responsibility and will not compensate us in any way. I dont know what the forum rules are about naming and shaming but if anyone is planning on getting a car from the UK to here give me a shout first so you dont use these guys.

The list of damage is too much to list but there is 1200 dollars of bodywork damage, all four alloys have been scatched (18'M-Pars and the only place that can repair them is in P North) and it took three days to clean the leather with the entire interior striped.

Here's another of the rear seats....

post-2-1092646999.jpg

nasty man....feel free to shout the name, i have no problem with getting free warnings! got any exterior pics? 740s on 18's in lachsilber sound good :D im a big fan....personally would love a black one with 18" BBSs of some description....pimp

Cheers Gus,

Anglo Pacific.....DONT TOUCH THEM !!!!

Here's a shot of the outside before we left, the cars in the bodyshop next week to have the dings and dents taken out so hopefully soon she will be back to here former glory.

Not sure when Ill get the alloys sorted as they will have to be away for a week or so and unfortunately I dont have a spare set lying around !

Hey 318Touring, sorry I seem to have stolen your thread mate. Ill keep quite after this one ;)

post-2-1092648343.jpg

ohhhhhhhhhh i remeber you now i remeber this picture u posted it up when u wer still in the uk? no?

i love the wheels

Hey 318Touring, sorry I seem to have stolen your thread mate. Ill keep quite after this one

That's fine mate. I heard Mag and Turbo warehouse (in L Hutt) does alloy wheels restoration? Have you spoken with them? Also there's another place in Kapiti that does it too (can't remember the name).

Thats probably the same pic I put up last time !

Finally made it over here a couple of months ago. The container was a disaster all our stuff covered in mould and its taken months to sort out but its nice to be back. Although the gale thats blowing now is making me think twice !!

Made the incredible mistake of selling my 17' Alpina's with my old 750iL rather than bringing them with me. We were struggling for space in the container and I was struggling to sell the car but in the end I really shouldve done more to bring them over.

Ive spoken to several people about the alloys but Rim Right in Palmerston North is apparantly the only place who can handle an 18' rim.

There is also a place in Christchurch but they would only send the wheel back to Wellington to be finished off. Not entirely sure what that means but pretty much everyone Ive spoken to has said Palmerston is my only option.

Yeah man.. that is just BAD !!!!

i would've sued the shipping company !!!

man looking at all those pics makes me sing..

"do ya wanna get funky baby, do ya wanna get funky with me"

cause god damn that sh*t looks FUNKY

howd it smell? i feel for ya :o

I cant really descibe the smell. The shipping company had damaged the car when they loaded it into the container so I wanted to be there when they unpacked it.

The two guys doing the unpackinghad 25 years of experience between them and neither had seen anything like it.

The shipping company have refused any responsibility and if we would definately be taking them to court if the jurisdiction in this case wasnt England :(

Our insurance cheque arrived this morning so its off to the panel beaters next week (for the whole week !) and the valeters the week after, and hopefully Shelly's will get their fingers out of their arses and get the parts I need replacing.

Has anyone else found them to be incredilbly slow to get back to you with prices etc ?

So far I found the parts dept. Shelly's been pretty helpful and quick in getting back to me. In saying that I've known those guys for years now. They'll just show me the picture of the ETK (if I don't already bring my own printout), and get the price from another screen.

If you don't already know, it'd be useful if you are BMWCC (NZ) member as you'll get some 10 or 20% discount of the list price for parts, and services too.

thats a nice e38, im loving the wheels, if you ever want to sell them dont hesitate to PM me :P ]

thats terrible with the shipping, you must have been disgusted