Sign in to follow this  
camera doctor

Any Telecom workers here?

TRS Team

Official Launch Date for WCDMA is June 9th.

It's basically a fully capable GSM Network. Better Data speeds. More opportunities to offer dynamic services.

If you're interested in more information regarding this or the new TOTAL HOME package or ADSL2, please feel free to email me... yasthil.bhownath@telecom.co.nz

There is lots of conflicting rumours about the new Telecom WCDMA mobile network - rollout was to be November this year, but one site now says June / July 2009.

Does anybody on these boards work in the industry?

What is the guts? What sort of phones / plans are we likely to see - $10 text retained?

Any goss would be great!

Cheers

Trial will start in Nov 2008, actual rollout next year

RE: lufu.....

yup trial starts nov ... most of the w-cdma equipment has been commissioned but will take aprox a month to get it fault free'ish, hence nov launch.

also yes they have decided to get rid of the gsm equipment but that is not to say we are swapping it out ... originally all auckland sites that were being upgraded had the wcdma and gsm equipment installed, therefore we are just removing the gsm units, all the wcdma units, rectifiers and batteries etc stay as is.

in sort it basically means that i have to keeps hauling the 250kg alcatel-lucent crates around :(, the gsm ones were only 160kg :P

TRS Team

Official Launch Date for WCDMA is June 9th.

It's basically a fully capable GSM Network. Better Data speeds. More opportunities to offer dynamic services.

If you're interested in more information regarding this or the new TOTAL HOME package or ADSL2, please feel free to email me... yasthil.bhownath@telecom.co.nz

yasthil... you 123, bb or n&m???

Rumour mill is at it again - a supposedly reliable source reckons that Telecom are now canning the whole move to 3G in response to hard financial times.

Sounds like a crock to me.

Rumour mill is at it again - a supposedly reliable source reckons that Telecom are now canning the whole move to 3G in response to hard financial times.

Sounds like a crock to me.

I don't work for telecom but I doubt there is much substance to that rumour, I understand the network is already in place, at least in the main centers.

Yeah, my workmate said his mate is a tech for telecom and he told him they are pulling it all out. I find it hard to believe, but may as well spread the misinformation.

Yeah, my workmate said his mate is a tech for telecom and he told him they are pulling it all out. I find it hard to believe, but may as well spread the misinformation.

Work for Telecom - can confirm that is not true.

He may be referring to some of the GSM gear that wont be needed with the move to W850.

the wideband cdma and GSM equipment is in place at some sites but the decision has been made to rip the gsm equipment out where it has been installed and just leave the WCDMA which will eventually be installed all around the country... from memory the loss on the gsm decision was just over 30million

the wideband cdma and GSM equipment is in place at some sites but the decision has been made to rip the gsm equipment out where it has been installed and just leave the WCDMA which will eventually be installed all around the country... from memory the loss on the gsm decision was just over 30million

Ouch!! Have to have some fairly good justification to take a $30 million hit like that (and keep your job that is)....