Sign in to follow this  
tcbaurpower

Manual Gearbox Oil Change

Hello, i want to get the drain plug out but dont have a 17mm allen key.

Anyone made a handy tool for this? I was thinking weld a nut to a 17mm bolt. Dont have a welder but should be able to get someone to do it.

What do you think?

Cheers

Anyone made a handy tool for this? I was thinking weld a nut to a 17mm bolt. Dont have a welder but should be able to get someone to do it.

What do you think?

Cheers

Get a bolt with a 17mm head, screw two nuts onto the thread and lock them against each other VERY tightly! Then use that to undo the bolt, add some red loctite if you have it.

Yeah $30 for the tool just to change the oil. It is nice and heavy so i could put it under the seat for self defence. ^_^ I would usually just buy it but not really in the budget. Well it is on top i my list as well as a many more toys, um tools, but the wife has the habit of reminding me that money doesnt grow on trees. I already did the double nut thing no luck.

Cheers guys. Does the 17mm one undo the dif plug too?

repco will charge about that for the individual tool.

You should have hit up trademe. There are loads of tools on there. I wish id known sooner

Well i will have a look on trademe. ;) Cheers. I have found hardware stores more reasonable than Auto Stores on general items like tools, ones that are not just used on cars anyway.

Yes quite often you have old gheezers or change of career mechanics clearing out the garage and you can pick up a bunch of good sh*t for super cheap. Stahlwille, koken, snap on etc is all there.

Don't forget you can get tools with fly buys too ;)

What do you think?

Cheers

I made mine like this and it works really well, don't see any need to buy a tool, i have actually used mine on other gearbox's and things too.

Its not like engine oil that people change every 5000kms to 10,000 kms

Flybuys great we dont need anymore appliances anyway. lol.

I am changing the oil because i am doing a complete maintenance service as i have no idea what the previous did and i want the engine to be in top condition as it is getting on in miles, the engine is out of the car so it has been easier.

I will buy the tool then others can hit me up if they need it. :D