Sign in to follow this  
iball

E46 starting problem

Guys got an issue starting my e46 - the ignnition comes on (radio works etc) however ther is just a clicking noise when I try starting the car.

I have jumped started the car and driven around for 20 minutes or so, but when I switch it off, it just clicks again.

Not sure if its the battery (flat or completely stuffed), or the altenator not charging the battery at all?

Any thoughts?

Cheers

Iball

When you jump start it and drive around the alternator should charge enough for it to start the engine again. Or at least that was the case with my e36. When I had to jump start mine I took it for a good long 45 minute drive and that seemed to charge it enough.

Although a 20 minute drive should give it sufficient time to charge enough.

I would personally take it straight into BMW, I messed around for a couple of days, then when I took it in there was no saving the 10 year old original battery.

Although thats only if its the battery! (Sorry, I think aloud)

If theres a problem with the alternator not charging, a light will come up on the dash. Like so:

Posted Image

Hope thats of some help,

Nick

Call the AA if you're a member, or jump start the car again and drive to a nearby Auto sparky. They can do a couple of quick tests to determine if the battery is holding a charge and if the alternator is working properly.

Most likely it will be your battery that has given up the ghost.