Sign in to follow this  
DrphTa

Rear spoiler

May be a dumb question... anyhow. I have a rear spolier on my e36 coupe. Its not m3 or anything and wouldnt be able to tell you what it is either. I wanted to remove it but would like to know whats the best way to go about this. The wing itself is simply stuck on (from what i can see) a double sided adhesive strip. the wing also has led brake lights in it. similar to the m3 wing

any advice would be appreciated

Thanks in advance

Does the brake light in the spoiler work? If so, there will be a hole in the bootlid for wiring purposes. If this is the case, it may be easier and cheaper to buy a second hand bootlid in the same colour as your car and simply fitting that.

However, if it is just tape holding the spoiler to the bootlid give this a go:

Buy a can of Wax, Grease and Adhesive Remover from Supercheap, spray it under one corner of the spoiler and then grab some dental floss and begin to "floss" the spoiler off the bootlid, spraying more adhesive remover as necessary.

The brake light wiring is really simple. It just uses a wire tap to tap into the rear brake lights which is very easy to remove. Atleast that the case with mine.

Thanks for the advice guys. As for the brake light in the wing, yes it does work but the light in my rear window does not. Im guessing the previous owner used that fed to power the light in the wing.

I have had a look around at bootlids and they are pricey, around 300-500.

When you say "tap to tap" nick, what do u actually mean by the wiring? do u have a picture just after you took your spolier off?

cheers

Sorry mate, should have added a comma. "It uses a wire tap, to tap into the rear lights...."

Generally when people put a spoiler on they take the bulb out of the rear window light. Simply because it looks a bit weird with both the rear window light and the spoiler brake lights on.

I'll get a picture for you after dinner.

Edited by Nick021

Posted Image

The wire tap is the little blue thing.

Remember yours could be done differently, buts its simple to remove.

Edited by Nick021