Sign in to follow this  
swiggs

My new 540i m-sport

hey have had look and there seem to be a couple of the pro ones there. I aint no good at speaking german though.

Its a bit of a pain how the jap and the euro spec is different.

Is there much else different between the euro and jap cars apart from these things.

Jap vs Euro Differences:

Radio (FM band)

Navigation (totally different)

Telephone (totally different)

Front bumper number plate holder

Rear boot lid (number plate holder different)

Boot liner different

Nav computer mounted in different place

TV tuner mounted in different place

Radio mounted in different place

Wiring loom for stereo different

Light control module programming different (warning messages)

Gearbox programming different (shift steps, warmup sequence)

All warning labels different (in Japanese)

User / service manuals diffferent (in Japanese)

Flare holder fitted (for emergency flare)

Gong goes ding in reverse - wiring is different

No alarm fitted (NZ had alarm as standard)

Early remote controls were infrared, NZ, ROW has radio remote

Therefore antenna amplifier different

And General Module programming is also different

All I can think off from the top of my head, may be some more...

Generally, the Jap cars are better spec'd than the NZ-new cars (no NZ-new had nav for example) but to make the car workin NZ requires spending a few $$. The savings you made by getting a Jap import should be put towards the conversions costs to make the car work properly in NZ. Luckily, the conversion from Jap to NZ is a DIY job (if you are DIY inclined). Radio very easy, nav a bit more effort, telephone more again.

Don't spend money on "pretty makeup" (new headlights), spend it on getting the functionality working (replacement radio / nav / telephone). That's money much better spent. IMHO.

As for eBay, you can run eBay in English, or put the whole website through a translator (Google language tools etc). There's no excuse for not being able to read eBay listings in any language these days.

Jochen thanks heaps for your help.

I think i will get the radio done and the nav. the phone isnt a worry. i dont think it has one anyway.

When it comes to the nav conversion I might ask for your help on that one in time.

Thanks again mate.

Congrats on the purchase swiggs, the E39 has timeless beauty. With regards to the lights, as Nick has mentioned, if you want to go with the Hella CELIS (LED) tail lights, you need ballasts to avoid getting a check control error, due to the difference in resistance. Maybe ask Jochen if there is a way to program the car to not throw the code, without the ballasts.

For the headlights, if you want to just fit halogen Hella CELIS (Angel eyes), you need different wiring harnesses which should come with the headlights as kit if you buy them new as a retrofit kit. If you want to fit HID Hella CELIS headlights, then you need the wiring harness and reprogram the car to accept the HID units, if not you will get an error just like the tails, again due to the difference in resistance. Jochen knows about this too.

There are aftermarket tail & headlights available, but they do not look exactly the same as the Hella and I'd say Hella is better quality. If you're particular about your car looking original then go with Hella, an enthusiast would be able to pick out the aftermarket lights :)

Congrats on the purchase swiggs, the E39 has timeless beauty. With regards to the lights, as Nick has mentioned, if you want to go with the Hella CELIS (LED) tail lights, you need ballasts to avoid getting a check control error, due to the difference in resistance. Maybe ask Jochen if there is a way to program the car to not throw the code, without the ballasts.

For the headlights, if you want to just fit halogen Hella CELIS (Angel eyes), you need different wiring harnesses which should come with the headlights as kit if you buy them new as a retrofit kit. If you want to fit HID Hella CELIS headlights, then you need the wiring harness and reprogram the car to accept the HID units, if not you will get an error just like the tails, again due to the difference in resistance. Jochen knows about this too.

There are aftermarket tail & headlights available, but they do not look exactly the same as the Hella and I'd say Hella is better quality. If you're particular about your car looking original then go with Hella, an enthusiast would be able to pick out the aftermarket lights :)

only problem is oem hid is HELLA expensive....:)

They are expensive but hey. If it looks good and is good for the car why not.

Something i think with these bmws are the parts if sold seperately from the car would be worth probably twice as much as the car itself. well for my 740i that was the case anyway.

Jap vs Euro Differences:

{SNIP}

Generally, the Jap cars are better spec'd than the NZ-new cars (no NZ-new had nav for example) but to make the car workin NZ requires spending a few $$. The savings you made by getting a Jap import should be put towards the conversions costs to make the car work properly in NZ. Luckily, the conversion from Jap to NZ is a DIY job (if you are DIY inclined). Radio very easy, nav a bit more effort, telephone more again.

Don't spend money on "pretty makeup" (new headlights), spend it on getting the functionality working (replacement radio / nav / telephone). That's money much better spent. IMHO.

As for eBay, you can run eBay in English, or put the whole website through a translator (Google language tools etc). There's no excuse for not being able to read eBay listings in any language these days.

Totally agree - Jochen updated my radio and GPS in my E39 528i Touring and Its the best money I ever spent. Having a decent radio and the GPS outweigh all the "Bling".

When are you coming back Jochen?...need you to bring me a CD43 for Jans 318ti(E36) :rolleyes:

...the Jap C33 is absolutely useless and is headed for the bin as soon as I can get a replacement CD43.

I picked her up and i tell you what it blows the socks off me. its got a vanos tick have posted a question in the matenance section. its not bad though.

to be honest the car doesnt need any more bling. its like got all the things i want. and looks friggen great as is.

does anyone else know how to change gps. am ordering a thing for the tv and radio soon so thats simple.

If you should decided to change the headlights or tail lights at a later date try these two site's.

To up grade to the Xenon type lights is a $$$$$$ exercise but if done correctly does make the car look nice.When you fit the halo rings us the brighter LED bulbs the factory ones are a dull yellow and not a nice look IMO.

Get hold of Grant ( Hotwire) he will be able to give you the run down on getting the the GPS and phone up and running. Enjoy the ride you will not regrete it!

http://www.eurosportdesign.com/c-10-e39-5-series.aspx

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BMW-E39-5-S...QcmdZViewItemQQ

Cheers Allan

Nice car you have. Good on you - you'll be rapt with it.

PM'd you regarding nav etc

Cheers Grant