Sign in to follow this  
mrad01

BMW e30 project

OK, I'm probably going to get flamed - but anyway...

I've been thinking about a e30 project car. Taking a e30 coupe and building it up into a "M3 spec" road car. I wouldn't put M3 badges on it, or even try to pass it off as a M3 - but I would love to have a project like this to work on every weekend.

Any thoughts? Websites? Anyone done it? Exactly what make a e30 M3 different to the standard e30 coupe?

Details?

I've been thinking about a e30 project car. Taking a e30 coupe and building it up into a "M3 spec" road car. I wouldn't put M3 badges on it, or even try to pass it off as a M3 - but I would love to have a project like this to work on every weekend.

Any thoughts? Websites? Anyone done it? Exactly what make a e30 M3 different to the standard e30 coupe?

Details?

Sounds good man, dont have to much experience re: m3 conversion, but a e30 project is an e30 project so mean haha. I speak for myself and many others there is nothing people on this board dont know how to fix on the ol' e30. Just be careful though, you may think it will consume just weekends..but it consumes your life haha. My uni marks are going down the drain as we speak haha ;) but good luck, keep us posted on how it evolves.

Nathan

I would build an Alpina B6s, E30 shell(just use M tec2 M325i shell, nice looking) with worked M30 engine, check out this left hand drive twin turbo version.

http://www.e30tech.com/forum/showthread.ph...7500&page=6

or

http://home.online.no/~krimp/sweb/photo_alpinabB6_3_5s.htm

Edited by mr E34

lots of the panel differences - would cost $20,000 just to get the panels there and fitted, not to mention the paint job. Go with a Mtech 1 kit + M3 engine conversion.

Ah, it's better to stick to, and celebrate the benefits of, a non-M3 E30, like the guys say.

http://bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=8

The engine is very different, and ridiculously expensive to find/rebuild. Assuming you are after the look (and there's nothing better IMHO), its very hard and (again) expensive to recreate. Sneaky BMW changed not just the guards etc, but the bootlid and area around the rear window and its hard to make that look good.

There's also an issue around the suspension (5 lug), although in terms of look that is less critical.

Edited by CamB

I don't know how far you want to go with it but to source all the parts is stupid expensive. Best bet might be to find one of the jap import ones (i think theres a cheap rusty one on TM) and tax the bits off that. Or better still repair/rebuild a legit M3 that will keep its value.

Its easier to say what they have in common with the other e30's, so many m3 specific parts. body panels, suspension, brakes, engine, interior is all different.

Or, just get a nice Mtec car and work on that.

I don't know how far you want to go with it but to source all the parts is stupid expensive. Best bet might be to find one of the jap import ones (i think theres a cheap rusty one on TM) and tax the bits off that. Or better still repair/rebuild a legit M3 that will keep its value.

Its easier to say what they have in common with the other e30's, so many m3 specific parts. body panels, suspension, brakes, engine, interior is all different.

Or, just get a nice Mtec car and work on that.

Sounds like the Mtec is the way to go... I don't mind spending money to get what I want. (within reason)

I better go and learn everything I can about those models and then try to find one.... (in bad condition of course!)

Sweet, thanks for the tips!

Ah, it's better to stick to, and celebrate the benefits of, a non-M3 E30, like the guys say.

http://bmwmregistry.com/model_faq.php?id=8

The engine is very different, and ridiculously expensive to find/rebuild. Assuming you are after the look (and there's nothing better IMHO), its very hard and (again) expensive to recreate. Sneaky BMW changed not just the guards etc, but the bootlid and area around the rear window and its hard to make that look good.

There's also an issue around the suspension (5 lug), although in terms of look that is less critical.

CamB is absolutely right here.

With the best of intentions towards you and with no disrespect intended...don't do it.

I have rebuilt three E30M3's and the cost is mindblowing. Please...do not go there. If you do want to throw money at something like this, you would be better advised (as CamB said) to just do up another E30 version. (just to put it into perspective, I spent around 120k buying and restoring my E30M3 Cabrio). Yeah...I know...mad.

But it looks nice :D:D:P

Whoops..don't know how that happened. This post is not from old skool. It is from Oscar. Old skool was at my house a couple of days ago and we were checking out stuff on my 'puta.

Sorry Laurence...I'll dial you out shortly and dial myself back in :rolleyes:

Edited by Old_Skool_Bmw

CamB is absolutely right here.

With the best of intentions towards you and with no disrespect intended...don't do it.

I have rebuilt three E30M3's and the cost is mindblowing. Please...do not go there. If you do want to throw money at something like this, you would be better advised (as CamB said) to just do up another E30 version. (just to put it into perspective, I spent around 120k buying and restoring my E30M3 Cabrio). Yeah...I know...mad.

But it looks nice :D:D:P

Whoops..don't know how that happened. This post is not from old skool. It is from Oscar. Old skool was at my house a couple of days ago and we were checking out stuff on my 'puta.

Sorry Laurence...I'll dial you out shortly and dial myself back in :rolleyes:

Cool, I have done a ton of research and narrowed it down to a M20 based E30 coupe, and then build up from there...

In the planning stages now!!

talk to josh ( Hybrid ) He is basically converting an m325 to M3

Edited by ED1RTY

Details?

Gus mentioned he may be keen on selling the Turbo - just buy that and you've got a 4 cylinder with more power than the M30 conversion and still handles mint.

I would personally turbo an e30 4 cylinder for a toy car, you're welcome to come play with the turbo if you want.

Having said that - my racecar is a 3.1 ltr m20 and is more torquey than a stock M30 3.5 and has more power (by quite a lot) .

I would recommend that if you wanted to go the N/A route.

Having said that - my racecar is a 3.1 ltr m20 and is more torquey than a stock M30 3.5 and has more power (by quite a lot) .

I would recommend that if you wanted to go the N/A route.

I'm quite keen on the N/A route - I have a (fairly) fast turbo car already ;-)

So, there are quite a few facelift 320 coupes around - but not so many 325s... (Well, I'm not looking for a minta - something to do up...)