Sign in to follow this  
xescuy

Strange tranny clunk

Hola,

I just noticed a strange noise that seems to come from the front of the car (I'm thinking transmission not LSD since that's in the back). No noise while driving so I'd exclude the driveshaft.

It's a "clunk" noise that can be heard after I clutch and before I put the stick in gear from neutral (any gear, louder on 1st).

Don't know if it's normal or it's one of the bearings, the flex disk or the gearshift linkage but it's pretty heavy sounding (if that make any sense) so the linkage might not be it.

It seems to be a bit louder at regular operating temperatures. Can't be heard when engine/transmission are cold.

Since it's the transmission and I don't have 1000$ to fix it right now I was wondering if this is normal and I'm just paranoid cuz is a new car. Should I be worried, very worried or extremely worried about this issue? Does is still have a few km's in it before a repair or should I start getting $$ together.

Any advice will be welcomed and well appreciated

Thanks

tech details:

1995 BMW 328is (E36)

Manual 5 sp trans. (prolly getrag250G)

green :P

Bit hard to tell without hearing it....but check your engine mounts, gearbox mounts and driveshaft coupling

Had a similar thing in my e30, checked diff and drive shaft, then realized it was just just clutch had got to worn, Strangely wasnt slipping just had a horrible clunk when i let out the clutch. When was it changed last?