Sign in to follow this  
xescuy

Radio antenna

Hola,

Anybody has one of these things laying around the garage somewhere?

I only need the antenna part (number 1) but BMW is not making it any more if we trust realoem.

The radio reception is kinda crap now so maybe this will help.

Trademe was not helpful for this so I'm hoping you, lovely BMW aficionados, might have a lead on this thing.

See below the place where it should go

Thanks

R

Have you tried the $tealership, or another brand of aerial? I had a similar on on my old VR6. As it is just the antenna radiator, it may not matter if it is factory or not (Jochen or Hotwire may be able to clarify this).

Hotwire may even have one lying around.

I thought the radio aerial on E36's was built into the rear window along with the demister? That part doesn't look factory.... (I could be wrong though as you've mentioned realOEM.com)

Hola,

Anybody has one of these things laying around the garage somewhere?

That's a GSM mobile phone antenna. D-NETZ in Germany was the GSM network.

So a broken phone antenna won't affect radio performance at all.

If you have poor radio performance in an E36 then check the following:

1. Make sure you have a Kiwi radio, not a Jap radio with band expander. Band expanders destroy radio performance.

2. Check the centre pin connector of the radio antenna cable plug at the back of the radio. The centre wire can break off the connector. You can open the connector and carefully solder the centre wire.

This is a common problem.

That's a GSM mobile phone antenna. D-NETZ in Germany was the GSM network.

So a broken phone antenna won't affect radio performance at all.

If you have poor radio performance in an E36 then check the following:

1. Make sure you have a Kiwi radio, not a Jap radio with band expander. Band expanders destroy radio performance.

2. Check the centre pin connector of the radio antenna cable plug at the back of the radio. The centre wire can break off the connector. You can open the connector and carefully solder the centre wire.

This is a common problem.

yahoo... :) thanks for the update. I think I'll prove my ignorance and ask you how would I be able to tell if it's japan radio or germany one. the car is not an import but german made and imported as new

yahoo... :) thanks for the update. I think I'll prove my ignorance and ask you how would I be able to tell if it's japan radio or germany one. the car is not an import but german made and imported as new

If imported new from Europe it will have the correct radio for NZ. If Europe but out of Japan it will have a Jap one.

Easy tell -Jap FM frequency is 76-90, wont get stations over 90 unless a band expander is fitted & then the numbers will be 10, 12 or 14 behind on the display (depending on expander) e.g. on a 10 shift 98.6 will read 88.6 on radio display

If imported new from Europe it will have the correct radio for NZ. If Europe but out of Japan it will have a Jap one.

Easy tell -Jap FM frequency is 76-90, wont get stations over 90 unless a band expander is fitted & then the numbers will be 10, 12 or 14 behind on the display (depending on expander) e.g. on a 10 shift 98.6 will read 88.6 on radio display

It's European :). I guess the signal in Wellie is always a bit dodgy. There are some areas where it works very well and some other ones where it's crap.

The connector looks ok. Nothing too bad... I'll keep an eye on it :)

Thank you :D

R