Sign in to follow this  
koruki

E46 M3 owners

Hi all new to the forum!

Just wanted get some input from some E46 M3 owners with their experience owning the car. The reason I am posting is because I got yelled at today by some random guy in a inside carpark for "driving too fast" Now the carpark is a really small one you drive about 10 meters then turn up repeat etc. But the nature of the carpark is that if I dont keep it in first gear the car shakes (SMG) . The engine notes is extremely loud is many of you may know and it does sounds like I'm getting ready to drag race someone each time i throttle up after turning the corner.

So my question is has any of you ever been told you were driving too aggressively from the general public? It just seems that not only me but even my g/f has be complaints when driving this car. And no there are not aftermarket parts its all stock. Its just getting really annoying to have random people come up and spitting negative remarks.

Welcome to Bimmersport!

Ignore it man. Just because you hold the gears doesn't mean your going too fast. They're either jealous of your car (I am too) or really anal. I say well done! Even better if it was an underground carpark.

How come your car shakes when out of 1st gear, is it because it is labouring at low speeds or something?

Post up some pics of you M3.

Next time it happens engage launch control and drown out their yelling with tire squeel.

Seriously though, it doesn't sound like a fault - sounds like intolerance from a grumpy fart.

I find that hard to believe - you shouldn't get clutch shake in first gear or even 2nd gear take off - if the speed's too low SMG will downshift to stop the car from stalling or disengage the clutch - something is wrong.

Tell me have you got the Sport button engaged? If yes, then turn it off when you are going slow.

I'd get the clutch engagement take up reprogrammed - sounds like that could be the issue.

SMG should be really smooth when the clutch releases - no shakes or shudder - if it does, then it's usually the clutch take up point need reinitialising, or the pressure plate's worn ... or possibly the clutch fluids need a good bleeding.

Hey thanks a lot for the positive input, as for drowning out the guys voice lol its an apartment building so its likely we'll run into other again. I took at look at the car he drove and I can understand why the noise scared him a bit lol. BTW M3_POWER you the same M3 POWER off NZhondas?

I know what you mean about the noise, I have a 6 speed manual E46 M3 if i open the throttle up it gets heads turning thats for sure.

I try to drive responsibly around joe public,cause these days it seems every one is a Captain safety cellphone ranger.

I did have a nice run over the Rimutakas the other weekend behind a Lamborghini Gallardo,and that car was very loud!

Didnt pull away as much as i would have thought a 500hp car would,handling was quite similar and Braking wise very similar although his brakes would last longer then mine on the track no question!

But im happy as he had to spend $400,000 and i didnt lol.