Sign in to follow this  
shamshoun

Installing 16:9 Screen on E39 520i with Nav System

Greetings Dears,

I have a question and i would appreciate your help in this regard, I have a 520i 2001 Model, i have only cassette player with CD box in the back, i want to change this with 16:9 BMW widescreen with Nav system, is this doable? can i do it my self or it needs professional? is there any customization required?

thanks for your help

Cheers!

hi, theres a few videos on you tube that can help try searchin for e39 widescreen install.

also sounds like you might need the retro fit package to get everything going

Welcome to site.

Have PM'd you re this.

I have a question and i would appreciate your help in this regard, I have a 520i 2001 Model, i have only cassette player with CD box in the back, i want to change this with 16:9 BMW widescreen with Nav system, is this doable? can i do it my self or it needs professional? is there any customization required?

All fully possible. BMW made a kit and detailled instructions on how to retro-fit nav to a car with no nav

Note carefully that a key prerequisite is that the car have the high-IKE (and not the low IKE!) as well as the digital climate control. The high IKE has the text display at the bottom for eg FASTEN SEATBELTS etc. IKE = Instrument cluster.

Generally only something you'd do yourself as a DIY BMW fan, due to the amount of labour involved. and cost of parts (even 2nd hand expect to spend well over $1,000)

But plenty of people have done it.

The BMW instructions state it takes 8 to 10 hours with knowledge and experience.

As a newbie, expect it to be a full weekends work - or two weekends - once you have gathered all the necessary parts. Start trolling eBay...

Anyway, start by browsing the retrofit instructions - I can mail you a copy if you wish (PM me your email address)