Sign in to follow this  
Sheytoon

M3 Quick Question

Hey guys,

I have a 2003 z4 2.5i and I wanted to install a M3 engine into it. Was wondering if anyone has tried this and if so what the costs where. Obviously it would be easier for me to buy a M3, but I wanted something different. Also I love the Z4 it’s just so much fun to drive.

Ill most likely be using it as a show car but have a few track days with it. I’ve seen the Z4GTR kit here in these forums and was hoping to place an order for one of them as well.

If anyone can point me in the right direction it would be much appreciated!

Hey guys,

I have a 2003 z4 2.5i and I wanted to install a M3 engine into it. Was wondering if anyone has tried this and if so what the costs where. Obviously it would be easier for me to buy a M3, but I wanted something different. Also I love the Z4 it’s just so much fun to drive.

Ill most likely be using it as a show car but have a few track days with it. I’ve seen the Z4GTR kit here in these forums and was hoping to place an order for one of them as well.

The quick answer to this question is "NO YOU CAN"T"

The quick answer to this question is "NO YOU CAN"T"

Really so its not possible? There goes the dream

Hey guys,

Sell yours and buy this?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-181986435.htm

Would guess at least $15k to buy and install an M3 engine and trans and get it wired in, and then your brakes and diff will probably be inadequate. I'm kinda making that figure up though - first big issue would be finding an M3 engine...

And since Glenn's saying "no you can't" then chances are that, while you could (you can do anything if you pay enough), it will cost a lot more than I guesstimated in $15k.

Edited by CamB

If you have very very deep pockets you can do anything. Supercharge her while you're at it too

Every ECU is intergrated by Canbus & software ABS SRS LKM ASC DME EGS etc etc .... you will not get anything to work.

It would be cheaper to keep the car you've got and go buy the car you want.

After 1998 most cars can not have engine swaps for road use with out spending more than what the two cars would cost to buy.

Edited by *Glenn*

Sell yours and buy this?

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-181986435.htm

Would guess at least $15k to buy and install an M3 engine and trans and get it wired in, and then your brakes and diff will probably be inadequate. I'm kinda making that figure up though - first big issue would be finding an M3 engine...

And since Glenn's saying "no you can't" then chances are that, while you could (you can do anything if you pay enough), it will cost a lot more than I guesstimated in $15k.

I didnt see that for sale. That could be an idea.

Or I was thinking of bolting a supercharger on. Anyone heard of ESS from Norway?? Apparently they bolt on straight (few tweaks here and there) but take the HP from 192 to 320ish....Which is close to an M version (they are running around 340ish), all for around 12K NZ

Every ECU is intergrated by Canbus & software ABS SRS LKM ASC DME EGS etc etc .... you will not get anything to work.

After 1998 most cars can not have engine swaps for road use with out spending more than what the two cars would cost to buy.

Thanks for the info Glenn.

G'day Sheytoon. Yes it can be done (after all the Z4 comes with the 3.2 engine, so it will fit), but I agree with others that it would be cheaper to sell your car and buy a Z4M. There are simply too many things that you would have to change to create a top-quality show car - engine, trans, diff, suspension, brakes, computer, wiring, etc etc.

Plus, 3.2 litre engines are bloody hard to find. I looked for 6 months to find one to put in my Z4, and finally had to buy a complete (but damaged) Z3M Coupe from Japan, just to get an engine / box.

Which Z4GTR kit are you referring to? The one in Sweden? If you are thinking about buying one, let me know. I've been corresponding with that company, and have negotiated a very good price on that kit. We want to use it on our Z4 racecar - the finished kit looks great.

Cheers, John

Whilst I fully understand the complexity of the swap completely ... the reality is if there's a will, there's a way (and a big wallot of course).

How else do you explain swaps like these?

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.ph...057#post1729057

http://www.dtmpower.co.za/forums/showthread.php?t=2099

or the G-Power V10 CSL, the Germany tuning company (can't remember the name or find their website) that have put numerous different engines into different cars (i.e. CSL powered Compact, S65 powered CSL, S62 powered CSL ect ect)

Edit .. found that German shop ... http://www.bremgo-shop.de/

Edited by M3_Power