Sign in to follow this  
andyball1

small ding causing gear change issues???

hey guys

got a question for ya. my friend has a 325i e30 and had a small intercation with the kerb at a 45 degree angle. it was a bit of a har knock so it has bent the bottom wishbone the anti roll bar, the front left strut and the arch but ever since the hit its really really hard to get it into any gear?? what could cause this? could the whack of bent the gear change mechanism or something more sinister???

cheers in advance

Is it:

- a clutch problem (clutch not disengaging, so won't go into gear); or

- a gear problem (physically won't go in, despite clutch working); or

- a linkage problem (maybe the linkage is flopping around).

He really needs to have a proper look. It sounds potentially serious...

could have broken the engine/grearbox mounts so gearbox is sitting on a different angle which will fowl up the gear shift mech

could have broken the engine/grearbox mounts so gearbox is sitting on a different angle which will fowl up the gear shift mech

i looked at the 2 rear gbx mounts last night am gonna look at the engine and the front mounts to see what the story is. first time working on a bmw but since my mate bought his ive fallen for them so i think its gonna be my next car :D

right was wondering/hoping you lot could tell me if the engine mounts were fine? so i took some pics of the damage and the mounts

Posted Image

this is the passanger side mount

Posted Image

this is drivers side

Posted Image

i would of thought they were supposed to be straight?? if so how can i make them back straight again??

right was wondering/hoping you lot could tell me if the engine mounts were fine? so i took some pics of the damage and the mounts

i would of thought they were supposed to be straight?? if so how can i make them back straight again??

looks lyk my 320 did a few weeks ago (minor altication with road-works bent control arm, broke engine mounts, crackd sump, bent both rack ends, snapd sway bar links.haha) i cant realy see the mounts properly from the photo, but that tie-rod is definatly poked! 'P.M me for sum more advice, if ur in the auckland area maby sum free parts and help repairing (u supply the box while we fix it haha)

Edited by ashy_aye