Sign in to follow this  
325_driver

e30 LEAKS

Hey guys, almost finish with restoring ma favorite e30 (the 325i)

Learnt alot taking apart 90 percent of the car and putting it all back together again, and this topic i think would be good if alot of people put their past experiences/troubles in, cause when they leak they leak

So i reakon this topic could be as future help for others pulling hair out because their carpet floor boards are SATURATED.

(i dont know everything and im not a guru ) But

Things i have found,

- Sunroof drains, if these arnt maintained or cleaned, dont be supprised when the waterfall above your head comes

- The seals between the bonnet and round the edges of the engine bay, if they over flow theyll go down the firewall and go through these possible things: heater hoses, or the rubber seal in the firewall where the clutch master cylinder is

- I had a mini water fall coming through where my clutch master cylinder was, and ended up making a DIY cover and covered the hole with some sealant

- This was the big one, and if i didnt take the carpet out of my car i would be able to point this one out, through the sunroof drains, they go down and under the floor boards, and if under the floor boards arent draining properly it will over flow into the carpet.

with the last one i ended up having to drill a hole to drain the excess water (under the carpet there are clips bolting a clump of wires to the floor board near the base of the door, and i just drilled a small drainage hold directly under where the water was coming)

Any how, done best i can to explain with words, and put some pictures to help get your head arround what i was explaining, But hope this helps, Because the ONLY way i know where these leaks are is because i removed all the carpet from my car, and went through alot of frustrating DAYS pin pointing the causes and LOCATIONS of these leaks.

Any other input or correction from people that know more feel free, just wrote this up as a reference for any other people that are pulling their hair out and contemplating pulling their carpet out just to investigate.

post-727-1224895005_thumb.jpg

post-727-1224895159_thumb.jpg

Edited by 325_driver