Sign in to follow this  
caleb

E46 won't start

On Friday, the car won't start... AA did some test and found the battery faulty. Suggested battery replacement.

Sent the car to Jeff Gray, they did some test on the battery and said battery was tested ok. Battery is at 78% charge. (Was charged $30 odd for some battery test/check). Took the car home and left it in the garage since.

On Sat evening, had problem starting the car again. There were clicking sound when I attempted to crank. Had to jump start the car.

Would this be a battery fault, starter or alternator?

Edited by caleb

If the charge rate is ok, it still sounds like a battery problem or voltage drop to the starter motor. It will need checking again unfortunately. Would pay to also do a battery discharge test on the vehicle, which is something that cannot be done while you wait. This should be no greater than .02 amps after all the ECU's have gone to sleep.

Edit: The ECU's dont turn off straight away when you take the key out of the ignition. The car must also be locked with everything turned off. This test is best left to a professional to check. Without GT1 you will need to use 2 multimeters because of the working range the meters have.

Edited by *Glenn*

I now realised the problem. I was toggling with the various audio/video option and had the TV on for almost an hour with the engine turned off.

I left the car unlocked overnight and noticed P light on the gear shift handle was on for the entire night. I suppose there are also devices that were not turned off when I had the door unlocked.

Gave the battery a full charge and problems went away. :P