Sign in to follow this  
bmw.maniac

E30 Horn

'88 318i

Ever since i've bought my car i've always thought what a weak, pussy sounding horn it has. However, when comparing horns with a kid at school who has a 320i, his horn sounds well, a lot manlier so-to-speak. I was reading my e30 original sales brochure and I see that a "two-tone horn" is standard from the 320i upwards, and I guess this is that fantastic sounding horn my friend has.

So I was wondering can a horn from a 325i or 320i be easily swapped (i.e. just plugged straight in) into a 318i? Or will I have to fiddle with electrics etc?

I have searched on worldwide forums but have had no luck.

Cheers

most bmws have a high tone and a low tone horn installed-that will give u a ''manly'' sound,from age and water one usually packs-up

My touring had a really high pitched, squeely one that you'd expect in a Dihatsu Charade or something. Of course it was aftermarket.

So I put in a F/L 320i sedan one into the touring ('89 F/L). Sounded more Euro, like a nice paaarp sound.

So I put in a F/L 320i sedan one into the touring ('89 F/L). Sounded more Euro, like a nice paaarp sound.

Cool, did it just hook up?

Cool, did it just hook up?

They will plug & play, being that yours is crap - may well have been changed to an aftermarket one.

I can supply high & low OE units

PM me if you wish

Hmmm, my car one had the little female/male slide clip things and the horn had a plug?? I just put the clips over the contacts in the plug and taped it up. Works fine.

[edit] carn't speel korectly

Edited by Quailboy

The base models like the 318 e30 had a single horn that made a beep noise ( your not manly sound) some jap import 318 and other BMW 320 323 325 had dual horns a barp sound (the manly sound) you can get the dual horns and fit them in the same place as the single horn with a bracket that holds both horns run their wires together red to red and black to black and fit them to your existing horn outlet. those colors may not be the same as the horn wires but the same principle applies to the colors from the horns that you get,there are plenty of BMW wreckers that you can get the horns from. I got mine off the INTERNET for $15 so shop around first. good luck