Sign in to follow this  
QuickSilver

Helpful input required.

The ooooold pinched hose trick eh?

You'd be relieved that was all it turned out to be.

You have no idea. I was THIS close to smashing my head through a wall!

Happy to be driving it again :)

Damn....does that mean you don't have cheap 2.7 for sale?

Good on you, and great to hear it was a simple fix.

great is has been sorted out.

After i build m20 turbo stroker, i had issues with cooling systems aswell. So i had to reverse-engineer the system to fix it. Because of the space constraints i had to convert from pre-face lift to post-face lift system.

First of all.

-There's pre-facelift cooling system (with expansion tank on the drivers side). This is better one IMHO. Because expansion tank (i.e. reservoir) is right at the pump intake. This is crucial, because this arrangment will not allow water pump to run out of coolant and cavitate (i.e. stop coolant flow)

-Post facelift system (expansion tank on the passenger side) is IMHO bad design. expansion tank is plumbed between tstat housing and heater core, which is *OK* but not ideal (like pre-facelift)

interesting note. when i was troubleshooting cooling system at one point i had both expansion tanks installed :)

I *think* the main issue in m20 cooling system is the hose that feeds waterpump. This is because of the fact that it goes very high, up abouve dizzy then comes back down. that's ideal place for the airblock to form. But this is nothing. the main issue is... because this hose is pretty much the highest point in the system... if the coolant level is low it is possible that there's not enough to fill this hose. As a result water pump has no coolant to pump and coolant flow is reduced or stopped. Often if it noticeable on low rpm's, when water pump is spinning slowly...

IMHO a good way of fixing it is it to put a bleed point right there, on the top, by eg taking a piece of 35mm steel pipe and welding a nut/bolt to it to act as a bleed point...

I fixed it by other mods to coolant hoses, which are probably too involved to be applied to every m20. Check my build thread for further details...