Sign in to follow this  
323e30

e34 manual conversion dramas...

Have started the manual conversion in the e34 wagon , whole job has been nothing but problem after problem.. most are sorted just have a few left.

1,First issue was driveshaft was a small 6 bolt to drive shaft. car only had a 4 bolt in it, sorted it by using an e32 diff, swapping the axel hubs, and using the e32 rear half of the drive shaft with the front half of the e34s shaft.

2,next issue was a cross threaded and cut clutch line, Got a new fitting put on clutch line and flared for 5 bucks, the master cylinders thread was eaten alive so had to replace it.. No 1 stocks e34 master cylinders and they retailed at a ridiculous 240$+gst!!. . so i used an e30 one instead and changed the arms over as there diff lenghts.

thats the sorted stuff,

now im trying to work out how to elimitante the "Trans Prog" Error . nothing from the net seems to work, and most guides are for big 6s not m50.

Also . starter motor doesnt catch the flywheel . it was working fine on the auto , is there a difference between an auto and manual starter motor?

Cars been wired up so it thinks its in park so it starts. But the starter motor just spins and doesnt turn over flywheel.

Has anyone done this conversion before on an e34 m50 ?

Edited by 323e30

yes have done in a 525iT converted to M30 535iT.

what model is the flywheel from ???

is it a dual mass one or a single plate type ? try a M20starter ?

i used a M20 single mass flywheel and starter in my e36 325i when i converte dto manual

not sure on the trans prog error , we havn't sorted that one either in my freinds e34 535iT .

worked fine in my M30 e34 535i etc .

I was told it was from a 525i m50 the complete conversion kit,

flywheel looks very simlar to e30 325i now that you mention it ill try that now and see what kind of luck i get .

e30 has the correct starter motor, but wrong solenoid, the e30 is only the 2 main 13mm terminals, + 1, 10mm terminal.

e34 has an extra 8mm one. tried to swap the solenoids but there slightly diff sizes.

sorted a starter motor already hopefully fingers crossed, and will also show images of the conversion for anyone thats interested to see whats involved, nowhere as easy as the e30s, similar, but harder.