Sign in to follow this  
deeveus

01 BMW X5 humming noises?

I've got an E53 I think it is, which is giving a slight humming noise at speeds most noticeable above 80kph.

Could this be the front bearings or has anyone had this issue before?

It is more than likely scalloped tyres. Run your hands from the front of the tyre to the back, if you can feel ridges (kind of like a scallop shell funnily enough) this is what will most likely be causing the noise. It also usually makes itself most noticeable when you are braking at almost at a stop.

That could be the case.

Would this mean that I need to replace the front tyres, the noise seems to be coming from the front anyway...

That could be the case.

Would this mean that I need to replace the front tyres, the noise seems to be coming from the front anyway...

yes, the only cure is to get new tyres if they are scalloped. either that or turn the radio up ;)

Sometimes swapping the front and rear tyres can help matters, the different wear patterns and suspension differences between front and back can change the noise generated (and the wear rate)

Sometimes swapping the front and rear tyres can help matters, the different wear patterns and suspension differences between front and back can change the noise generated (and the wear rate)

Bad idea in this particular case. The sportpac runs a staggered fitment wheel and tyre combo!

It is possibly a wheel bearing like you have mentioned or it could be something completly different... prob best to get it confirmed by a mechanic in a workshop as its near impossible to diagnoise a noise over the internet.

Got it sorted, still waiting for the nice bill to arrive. It was a R/H Front wheel bearing. Still cheaper than replacing the tyres on the front!

Thanks for the help :)