Sign in to follow this  
aliluya

Water blasting engine bay

After reading one of the other threads i thought i better start another one to prevent me stealing the other thread.

Is it really safe to water blast the engine bay ?

If not what is the best way to clean and keep the engine bay clean ?

Also i'm starting to get little swirls in my paint, what am i doing wrong ? how can i get rid of them(they aren't very noticable even under direct sun light)? Could it be something to do with only getting to clean it once a month(cause i don't have hose access at my house currently)?

When i clean i:

spray down my car with water

rinse bucket and clean my sponges

pour some mothers washing liquid in

Soap up the car and then use different sponge+brush to scrub/clean my wheels

spray down with water

then i chaimos it dry

What is the best way people find to clean the wheels, remove it and clean it? special stuff to put on and then spray clean ? water blast? air blast ?

Oh and one last thing, i have got these hand prints or something on my rear windscreen ever since i have got the car, i've tried window cleaner, jif, chrome polish to remove it and i can't !!!!!!!!!!! it's not noticeble until the glass fogs up, it pisses my off :angry: !!

Thats all i can think of about cleaning my car ... hah ..

Guest Andrew

The little swirls are from cleaning your car - .. you have to live with them, the paint gets scratched.

No - its not really safe the water blast the engine bay. They may do it at the BMW workshop when they work your car - but they can fix it if they screw up. A lot of cars at the dealership I worked at got water blaster and then died very quickly. Just clean the engine bay with some degreaser or something (missing the electrical bits) and use low pressure water and scrub a bit. There are tons of safe methods around.

I have a wheel cleaner from Supercheap - just a spray on solution of sulphuric acid I think - works well - don't leave it on the wheels too long - use a water blaster to get it off. You'll still need to detail the wheels by hand.

For that window - get some abrasive window polish. If its on the inside of the car it may make a mess though - try toothpaste.

My old man bought a bottle of stuff called Simply Green from the Warehouse, 10 bucks a bottle, and I discovered it does wonders on the wheels, and cleans up the engine bay pretty well too.

Andrew what sort of abrasive cleaning products are you talking about ? Can you give me some names, so that i could go and purchase some.

Would it be harmful to the demister though ? Thats the biggest worry i have about using powerfully cleaners like meths ...And yeah they are on the inside ..

Would meths be damaging for the demisters ? if not i shall try that first ...

Guest Andrew

Andrew what sort of abrasive cleaning products are you talking about ? Can you give me some names, so that i could go and purchase some.

Would it be harmful to the demister though ? Thats the biggest worry i have about using powerfully cleaners like meths ...And yeah they are on the inside ..

Would meths be damaging for the demisters ? if not i shall try that first ...

The demisters are copper I guess - so meth won't dissolve that - it is relatively easy to repair the demister anyway.

Scrap the abrasive product idea if its on the inside. (or try toothpaste)

I'll give the toothpaste a try tomorrow ... and i'll let you know if it works or not ..

How would you go about repairing demisters anyway ??

Guest Andrew

I'll give the toothpaste a try tomorrow ... and i'll let you know if it works or not ..

How would you go about repairing demisters anyway ??

use a special paint on silver based stuff - last one i used was made by Wurth

Personaly i wouldnt use a sponge to clean my car, go out and get one of those wool mit things.

http://www.meguiars.co.nz/pages/frames/frpaint.html

Meguiars products ive always found to be pretty good. Cleaning wheels is still a hands on job but hay the things you have to do...... If you find some stuff isnt going to move off those rims hit with some white methylated spirits. :ph34r:

check it out, meguiars even do shoulder pads now... word. :lol:

Posted Image

how would i go about gettin spots of bitumen (tar to you non roadworkin folk) off paint and wheels?

how would i go about gettin spots of bitumen (tar to you non roadworkin folk) off paint and wheels?

`Turtle Wax` Spot and Tar remover.Comes in an aerosol can. Removes tree sap and other nasty things left behind by Insects.Get it from Repco.(I would have to say that,wouldn`t I) ?! Edited by 37 South

white methylated spirits 4 the wheels that is.