Sign in to follow this  
Honest Paul

RUAPUNA TRACKDAY UPDATE.

Yesterday we ran a relaxed trackday at Ruapuna for a selection of Marques including BMW.

A big thanks to those who came along from this forum, you added to a nice mix of cars and were the only represented Marque where every driver recieved either an honourable mention or a prize for their ability on the day.

Atta (crazyarab) didn't live up to his user name and carved very neat and precise lines in his M3, put in plenty of laps and set some very good times on standard road rubber (Toyo T1R's), really well driven Atta.

Ron came along in a 507bhp E60 M5 and despite it being his first day out and running on the bones of his tyres he was prepared to 4 wheel drift 1800kgs of car round most of the track. Great engine, lovely soundtrack, great car, squeezy side bolsters and all............ Good on you Ron, a pleasure to have you out there.

Riley managed to finish 'fettling' his Lexus V8 powered E30 just in time for the day and to be honest I didn't know whether to expect an oversteering monster or a lairy dragster. In reality it was neither.

To anyone that thinks an E30 with a V8 is nonsense.........think again. That car is so clean, no lairy wings, spoilers or outrageous bonnet bulge. The install looks almost factory and aside from the twin upswept pipes and lovely rumble you wouldn't guess what it was capable of.

Not only did it look good but it drove brilliantly in Rileys hands, very well resolved handling, low body roll, huge grip and storming pace down the main straight. Had it not been suffering an ecu/tempreature related malady it would have run all afternoon at blistering speed.

Car and driver of the day!

The next trackday will incude a lot of extras that this 'relaxed' one didn't which will make it very interesting for those who attend.

Look forward to seeing you there.

Paul.

Awesome, thanks for the 'review' as quailboy has said. Sounds like you all had a great day!

PICS :)!

post-1976-1226743998_thumb.jpg

post-1976-1226744013_thumb.jpg

post-1976-1226744028_thumb.jpg

post-1976-1226744040_thumb.jpg

post-1976-1226744052_thumb.jpg

post-1976-1226744063_thumb.jpg

post-1976-1226744076_thumb.jpg

post-1976-1226744091_thumb.jpg

post-1976-1226744113_thumb.jpg

post-1976-1226744123_thumb.jpg

post-1976-1226744135_thumb.jpg

post-1976-1226744148_thumb.jpg

post-1976-1226744160_thumb.jpg

post-1976-1226744170_thumb.jpg

post-1976-1226744184_thumb.jpg

post-1976-1226744196_thumb.jpg

post-1976-1226744208_thumb.jpg

Edited by crazyarab

Thanks for that Paul, I must say Paul and his team organised the day so well, it was a real credit to them!! Had a great day, very pleased with how the e30 went, just need some decent track tires, bigger radiator, rx7 front brakes and im sure ill be in the low 1.40s.

Cheers

Hey Paul

Thanks for a great day out with our other halves. It isn't often you can open the taps and try to replicate Top Gear without the handbrake beside you telling you to slow down :) After that session, you get a lot closer with your car and understand its handling a lot better.

Crazyarab and Riley showed me that taking the right lines and knowing where to plant the foot was more important than sheer power. I believe both of you would have been doing better lap times than me as every time I looked back, there was one of you in my mirror lol. The only time I felt safe was on the main straight doing 210+km/hr.

What I did like was that the day was about tracking, not about racing. However it was fun trying to catch the person in front or in my case, get away from the BMWs that were behind me and trying to sniff my exhaust :) I enjoyed hunting down the odd Ford and Holden though which you can never get sick of.

Again, thanks Paul for organising a fun and safe track day. Definitely looking forward to the next day out ....

Crazyarab and Riley showed me that taking the right lines and knowing where to plant the foot was more important than sheer power. I believe both of you would have been doing better lap times than me as every time I looked back, there was one of you in my mirror lol. The only time I felt safe was on the main straight doing 210+km/hr.

haha, tell me about it >.<

I would work so damn hard on the turns to try and catch you up then as soon as we hit that main straight... all my work was undone and it started all over again lol.

But as you said, it was so much fun chasing and being chased and definitely can't wait till next time!