Sign in to follow this  
MikeHancox

E21 320 Performance upgrades

Good Afternoon all.

I am just after some ideas. I am just about to start overhaulin my E21 4cyl eng (M10 I think you call it).

and would like to know what I could do with it to give it a bit more oompph. The car already has the sport 5 spd manual gearbox so it just leaves the eng and suspension.

I'm not after top of the line performance, but would like a comfortable ride with reasonable handling and a responsive engine with a bit more power.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks alot guys

Mike

Good Afternoon all.

I am just after some ideas. I am just about to start overhaulin my E21 4cyl eng (M10 I think you call it).

and would like to know what I could do with it to give it a bit more oompph. The car already has the sport 5 spd manual gearbox so it just leaves the eng and suspension.

I'm not after top of the line performance, but would like a comfortable ride with reasonable handling and a responsive engine with a bit more power.

Any ideas out there?

Thanks alot guys

Mike

from my knowledge the M10 engine isn' that great to modify unless you go turbo like the 2002ti, my advice would be to get a more sporty exhaust and cold air box so that it sounds more grunty :lol: all depends how much your willing to spend really

Thanks for the reply Jamez.

Sorry i should have mentioned this, i would prefer to keep the car relatively standard, and i would prefer not to shell out thousands of dollars. I'm basically just after a bit more acceleration from it

I'm not touching the exterior or interior, it will all remain stock.

Thanks

Thanks for the reply Jamez.

Sorry i should have mentioned this, i would prefer to keep the car relatively standard, and i would prefer not to shell out thousands of dollars. I'm basically just after a bit more acceleration from it

I'm not touching the exterior or interior, it will all remain stock.

Thanks

Carbed or injected? I'll assume 2 litre, carbed M10.

Generally speaking the M10 engine responds somewhat to:

- higher compression (change pistons) - if you are rebuilding the engine the best option is probably these

- a lumpier cam - eg Schrick 292 or a regrind, valve springs, new rockers

- a decent exhaust (hard to get a good manifold, unfortunately)

- suitable carb (or sidedrafts)

That lot will definitely cost you though (ie, thousands of dollars), but should give around 140-150hp.

You could also install a shorter diff - is your gearbox a dogleg first gear (1:1 5th gear), or overdrive (first gear up and left)?

Edited by CamB

Thanks guys,

I'm pretty sure its dog led first. I'm in Aussie at the moment for work and haven't driven the car in nearly 4 years (it's bad I know, but at least i was having fun wandering the globe!)

Helpful thoughts though, will have to do a bit of homework, costing and............ a few more hours at work.

Thanks guys,

I'm pretty sure its dog led first. I'm in Aussie at the moment for work and haven't driven the car in nearly 4 years (it's bad I know, but at least i was having fun wandering the globe!)

Helpful thoughts though, will have to do a bit of homework, costing and............ a few more hours at work.

If it is a dogleg first, and hence close ratio:

a) its worth a bit of money; and

b ) top gear is 1:1, so if you change the diff ratio don't pick a diff recommended for an overdrive gearbox...

Edited by CamB

That sounds pretty good. I won't be changing diff ratios or anything like that.

I will defintiely be rebuilding the head, the valves and guides are past there use by date and i think I will ditch the solex and upgrade to something better. The weber's are sounding pretty good at the moment.

That sounds pretty good. I won't be changing diff ratios or anything like that.

I will defintiely be rebuilding the head, the valves and guides are past there use by date and i think I will ditch the solex and upgrade to something better. The weber's are sounding pretty good at the moment.

I have a manifold and Dellorto 45s that I need to sell at some stage. The 45s are a bit big for a street engine though (was going to run them on a race engine). Will sell separately and 40s are cheaper to buy anyway. Chances are no matter how long you take to get around to your project, I will have been too lazy to stick them on Trademe, haha.

Edited by CamB

Hmmm i will bear that in mind, thanks. If i actually manage to work in the same city (and country) as my house i will get stuck into it, however i seem destined to be a traveller!

I have just been researching a weber 32/36 for it. they talk about them for 2002 everywhere but can't find much anywhere for a carb 320 (the US seem to have all the injected 320's). Plenty of 40 DCOE sidedrafts though, as cool as they are they may be a bit excessive for what i'm looking at.

Plenty of 40 DCOE sidedrafts though, as cool as they are they may be a bit excessive for what i'm looking at.

The induction noise alone is worth it! If you aren't changing the cam or internals (much) that 32/36 Weber is probably fine though.