Sign in to follow this  
Forrest

E30 Diff Help

My car has a 4.27:1 diff, I stripped two bolts (on one side) trying to disconnect the driveshafts off, grinded the bolts off, then semi damaged the driveshaft flange and realised some of the teeth on the spline are chipped anyway so better replace it haha. I will take a picture of the exact part I need tonight, but was wondering if most e30's have the same teeth pattern on the spline?

My diff is 4 bolt on the diff to the driveshaft flange and has 6 bolts where the driveshaft flange meets the shaft..

Hope that makes sense, will put some pics up later, just thought would ask while Im thinking about it.

Any help is appreciated :)

Edited by Forrest

Pictures would help. But what do you want ? Technical help or parts ? Sounds like youve cocked it up by not using the right tools or using the right tools incorrectly. Is the diff small case or medium case ?

Small case has 4 bolts on the side of the diff bearing carrier where the axle goes in, medium case has 6.

Pictures off what you have now damaged would help to give you any advice

Pictures would help. But what do you want ? Technical help or parts ? Sounds like youve cocked it up by not using the right tools or using the right tools incorrectly. Is the diff small case or medium case ?

Small case has 4 bolts on the side of the diff bearing carrier where the axle goes in, medium case has 6.

Pictures off what you have now damaged would help to give you any advice

Sorry here are some pics, mainly cocked it up cos i managed to strip two important bolts then got frustrated and made it worse lol...

So I need another one of these..if all diffs have universal versions of this part....

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

I want parts and advice, I need to know whether all e30's have the same number of teeth on the spline so i can find one thats got the same teeth (this one has 27 i think) and has 6 bolt holes (i dont know if there are different versions of this piece) thats all.

The flange has the numbers 499 and 37 printed inside if that helps

Im pretty sure mine is a small case diff, it has four bolts on the diff

So if anyone wants to sell me a good condition part of what I have below and is preferably in Wellington I will be happy.

Sorry if this is a confusing as post, im a bit of a noob when it comes to diff's

The only other alternative is to replace the diff to a better ratio if anyone has one (in welly that they want to get rid of) PM me

Cheers :)

Edited by Forrest

On a side note, what is the best ratio diff to put in a e30 for track work/daily driving?? Surely anything better than a 4.27:1

On a side note, what is the best ratio diff to put in a e30 for track work/daily driving?? Surely anything better than a 4.27:1

I have a 4.27 in the 2002, which has a 318i gearbox and runs the same size tyres as an E30. It's actually a pretty good ratio, unless you plan on going over 197kph (note - you'd need a long piece of road to go faster than, even with an M42).

(edit), although its so short that first gear is useless.

Edited by CamB

I have a 4.27 in the 2002, which has a 318i gearbox and runs the same size tyres as an E30. It's actually a pretty good ratio, unless you plan on going over 197kph (note - you'd need a long piece of road to go faster than, even with an M42).

(edit), although its so short that first gear is useless.

Yes first gear is terribly short, I dont think I will ever go faster than a 197 in a e30 LOL