Sign in to follow this  
savvi

Engine @ Transmission Mount Problem

heres wat happened today to my engine mounts , after doing a few practice take offs for the drags in 2 weeks

i noticed after the 4th take off the car was vibrating in nuetral and overall felt differant, so i lifted the bonet to find the rubber engine mounts arent were they should be they have moved about 5-10cm and when i turn the car off theres a obvious rattle coming from below the gearstick, has any one experienced this and is it a easy enough to put new mounts in, also can ya get urethane engine and gearbox replacements

anyhelp appreciated

cheers shane

Yes to all your questions.

Check your gearbox mounts as maybe theyve gone too. Check your driveshaft bearing and flexible coupling in case you wrecked one of them as well.

You can get urethane/nolothane gearbox and engine mounts. Easy to fit - lift the motor with a lift or a chain block or similar off the front lifting point. Doesn't have to be lifted far - you can leave all hoses etc attached. Replace the mounts, then get under the car, put a jack under the trans and do the trans ones.

Easy.

Edited by bravo

Yes to all your questions.

Check your gearbox mounts as maybe theyve gone too. Check your driveshaft bearing and flexible coupling in case you wrecked one of them as well.

You can get urethane/nolothane gearbox and engine mounts. Easy to fit - lift the motor with a lift or a chain block or similar off the front lifting point. Doesn't have to be lifted far - you can leave all hoses etc attached. Replace the mounts, then get under the car, put a jack under the trans and do the trans ones.

Easy.

cheers bravo can ya suggest were to get the urethane/nolathane mounts from

cheers bravo can ya suggest were to get the urethane/nolathane mounts from

Have a look at Ireland Engineerings website here. Highly recommended.

I use Ireland Engineering Urethane motor and trans mounts. Highly recommend if you don't mind a bit more NVH.

Expensive though.

I've heard of having cheap ones made in NZ, and there are NZ suppliers, but I run standard rubber mounts, so don't know where to get them.

All my urethane suspension bushes are Powerflex sourced from dynamic race parts in nz (they have a web page). Again, not that cheap.

"The Mount Shop" has "uprated" engine mount bushes. Not sure how uprated they are though.