Sign in to follow this  
sugarfree

Im Noob....

hi all. just wanna say hi from me. just joined in.

a little about me. live & work in akl. currently drive a 91 civic hatch. sort of my daily and my project in a way.

did a little bit and pieces on her, replace stuff and fix things.

reason to join is to learn more about beemers. =P

dad used to own 97 523i (overseas)... i luv it. and i always have heart for older beemer for some reason.

anyway, happy to kno u all...

Sell the honda and buy a bimmer!!! What are you waiting for? Anywho... Welcome!

heck, thats quik...!!!!

well, i luv it. my girl luv it.... its small compact and so easy to work on. lol.

most of the times i do my own service... keeping my balance in the bank healthy. lol.

but yea, if things are doing okay, i might replace it with something decent with 4door.... or coupe if i really cant pass the deal... lol.

yeah, i lov e30's since ages ago. cant really thing any beemer is better than that one. i think its bcos i like boxy shape and im a conservative person.

how easy to find them in good nick? and what's the realistic price for them? i luv the 325 msport... but yeah, only available in coupe style.

how is their condition? bm's got lots of electronics..... r they troublesome? i've heard some bad stuff in the past. but never actually experience one.

Welcome mate. You've definitely found a great place to learn about Bimmers.

Cheers, Nick

definitely.... :P thanks mate.

how easy to find them in good nick? Getting harder- hurry! and what's the realistic price for them? $3-10k (depends what you want) but increasing for a minta- so hurry i luv the 325 msport... but .yeah, only available in coupe style.

how is their condition? depends what you get/how much you pay, good to get one w/out rust bm's got lots of electronics..... r they troublesome? No, probably the same trouble as your Hoonda i've heard some bad stuff in the past. but never actually experience one. A lot of people will tell you things without any experience on the subject, though we may be bias, you have come to the right place.

Welcome aboard dude!

You can get a 4-door with the msport kit on it. Add an LSD and a decent suspension setup, some sport seats etc and apart from the trainspotters telling you it ain't an msport, it may as well be. Goes just as well, with all the same goodies.

See my sig below.

Although my next e30 will be a coupe. Bought a 4-door to lug friends around, but now I have no friends. (Jokes, I am just sick of them tracking muck in all over my interior.)

Welcome, and seriously, buy a bimmer - that Honduh is clouding your vision.

Bought a 4-door to lug friends around, but now I have no friends. (Jokes, I am just sick of them tracking muck in all over my interior.)

Yeah same as me. I got my speaker boxes (temporarily) down there so I have an excuse to not have passengers in the back.

Anyway welcome!

You can get a 4-door with the msport kit on it. Add an LSD and a decent suspension setup, some sport seats etc and apart from the trainspotters telling you it ain't an msport, it may as well be. Goes just as well, with all the same goodies.

See my sig below.

Although my next e30 will be a coupe. Bought a 4-door to lug friends around, but now I have no friends. (Jokes, I am just sick of them tracking muck in all over my interior.)

+1 also see my sig, I will be doing a 2.5 conversion very soon and it will be very similar.

Welcome aboard, buy a Bimmer

Hi, you wouldn't happen to be the same sugarfree that owned a B18C eg hatch would you?

As for E30's be prepared to spend more $$ for not much gain compared to Hondas. They're slower as well, but really fun to drive. :)

Hi, you wouldn't happen to be the same sugarfree that owned a B18C eg hatch would you?

As for E30's be prepared to spend more $$ for not much gain compared to Hondas. They're slower as well, but really fun to drive. :)

hahaha... i am the same person. always use the same screen name everywhere. so say hi if u see me somewhere else. btw, long time no see.... we shud catch up some times. u sold ur dc5r?

is it worthed to get e30 instead of e36?

e36>e30

Although i'm biased. But don't ask an e30 owner because you know what they'll say. ;)

See my sig below.

thats a neat e30. i want sedan too.... i cary passengers pretty often. but yea, i might compromise that for a neat coupe. =P

e36>e30

Although i'm biased. But don't ask an e30 owner because you know what they'll say. ;)

well, i can see the general reason. newer cars, newer technology, and still younger.

whats the best e30? and whats the best e36? exclude m3's, cos they are out of my league.....

well, i can see the general reason. newer cars, newer technology, and still younger.

whats the best e30? and whats the best e36? exclude m3's, cos they are out of my league.....

The best e30 would have to be a 325i, or a 318is. Manuals. The idea behind the 318is is that it has more power than a 318 and it has the benefit of a lighter weight over the front axle. Better handling than a 6 cylinder is my understanding. Although a modded 325, with decent suspension, should be pretty good as well.

The best e36 would have to be a 328i manual, although manual 323's, 325's still go bloody well.

328 manual will cost a premium. So will a mint 325 or 318is.

Best to test drive mate, it all comes down to personal preference. Set aside a weekend and drive as many as you can.

Edited by Nick021

nick021>>

thanks for that.

how is their fuel consumption? my 1.6L dohc engine use an average of 12.5km/ltr with either 95 or 98 octane.

nick021>>

thanks for that.

how is their fuel consumption? my 1.6L dohc engine use an average of 12.5km/ltr with either 95 or 98 octane.

No problem mate.

I've got a manual 323i, haven't really measured fuel consumption, because I don't really care. I've got half a tank left and I've done 189miles (which works out to be around 320kms). Thats mainly town driving, no open road, only motorway. So around 600km to a tank (Town driving)

Hope that helps.

btw. Thats running on 91 that time around.

Edited by Nick021

hahaha... i am the same person. always use the same screen name everywhere. so say hi if u see me somewhere else. btw, long time no see.... we shud catch up some times. u sold ur dc5r?

To be honest? I got an E30 because it was cheaper and I found the E36 boring, even if it has better technology. The E36 no doubt drives better too!

That said, $ wise, it would've been wiser for me to buy a mint 328 E36 already with better power/brakes/suspension. If I didn't go the race car route.

Our E46 328i is a better all round car than my E30, but isn't as raw/informative as my E30. It's also VERY heavy.

Yup, sold the DC5R. You're welcome to come have a look at mine once it's back home :)

e36>e30

I'd happily say that the E36 has better dynamics. But the design just didn't float my boat. The E36 is probably a more comfortable daily driver too!

E30 325's would be the only E30 I'd drive daily, especially if you plan on a sedan and keeping all the interior. E30's don't really have that much torque, 318's and 320's feel about the same as a B16A :lol:

What are you going to use the car for? 325/328's usually have the most options, but they're expensive in manual. E36 325 felt a bit slower than my standard 325 E30 to be honest. It might be due to weight..

I reckon drive as many as you can, and then decide. There are some real rotten examples out there that might give you a bad impression, so make sure you drive some good ones.

Get an E30 318i auto if you like scenery

haha..... same thing like drive 1.3 civic carb'd sedan....