Sign in to follow this  
groovy

Advice On Old Alarms

Hi all, i have seen a similar topics on these but i need info on different stuff. Hope thats ok :)

We are currently looking into buying the Honda Accord Euro for about 15k. Just briefly for the people who already used/using this car, can you let me know how is this car generally?

Good on mileage, expensive to repair or maintain and so on. Thanks, Anything helps thanks.

I currently have 2 sorts of alarms, been lying around in garage for a while now. Thinking of using these alarms if they are still any good.

1 of them is

http://www.mongoose.co.nz/products/vehicle...m60gm60gnz.aspx

2nd

http://www.uniden.com.au/new_zealand/p_vs1600XR_index.asp

Please advice if any of these old alarms are good enough to fit in the new car? OR do i need to buy a new or better one?

Also if i can use one of the alarm above, who you recommend i should get it installed in Auckland? or is their anyone in this forum who would do it and if so how much?

Sorry about lots of questions though. But thanks all in advance.

NZ new?? It should have a factory immobiliser which is good enough to stop a thief and reduce your insurance costs and is most likely better than after market.

My missus had one as a company vehicle for a couple of months and I enjoyed the time I had in it.

Handling is great as is the ride and steering the Stereo was simply fantastic for a factory stereo (just about the best I have heard) comfy seats and a nice look. The engine was my biggest disappointment, had 0 torque and didn’t have the nice lift on cam VTEC effect of the older cars.

Reliability wise I have no idea as it was company vehicle.

If it’s a Japanese import I have no idea, they are a different spec to anywhere else in the world.

NZ new?? It should have a factory immobiliser which is good enough to stop a thief and reduce your insurance costs and is most likely better than after market.

My missus had one as a company vehicle for a couple of months and I enjoyed the time I had in it.

Handling is great as is the ride and steering the Stereo was simply fantastic for a factory stereo (just about the best I have heard) comfy seats and a nice look. The engine was my biggest disappointment, had 0 torque and didn’t have the nice lift on cam VTEC effect of the older cars.

Reliability wise I have no idea as it was company vehicle.

If it’s a Japanese import I have no idea, they are a different spec to anywhere else in the world.

Thanks. It is an NZ new car and has a built in car alarm (not sure about the immobiliser). So you reckon the built in alarm is better than the 2 alarms i have?

Im no pro but one would think a factory alarm and immobiliser would be better as it is wired into the cars factory looms and would be hard to find for a thief as opposed to a aftermarket that has been retrofitted.

If you go after market your key fob buttons would become useless also.

Why the need for an alarm on a Accord, they are not commonly stolen and are hardly appealing to thieves, maybe save the money and get some puzzle nuts for the mags.

Im no pro but one would think a factory alarm and immobiliser would be better as it is wired into the cars factory looms and would be hard to find for a thief as opposed to a aftermarket that has been retrofitted.

If you go after market your key fob buttons would become useless also.

Why the need for an alarm on a Accord, they are not commonly stolen and are hardly appealing to thieves, maybe save the money and get some puzzle nuts for the mags.

Good point, i think the factory ones would be better as well. But does all the new cars nowadays come with factory alarms and immobilizers? I was thinking of putting a new alarm just becos i have one lying around :)

Well also not all theives who break in want to steal the car, prob break in for petty cash or if they see anything in car. (happened to my old mazda cappella car - they broke the glass and stole like 2$ of coins in there :) ). Just very annoying about the inconvience if some1 breaks stuff in the car.

Thanks.

TBH a little red flashing light would be a good deterrent. Most modern cars I have had have had just an immobiliser, our E60 and our Vectra have an alarm/immobiliser, the BMW emitted a high pitched sound that could be heard a mile away but wasn’t easily distinguished as a car alarm. The Vectra is hooked to the horn I believe witch is without a doubt the loudest horn I have ever heard, I would actually question if its legal, it’s that loud!

The M60 series Mongoose you have is by far the best of the two. If you are going to have one fitted - make sure it is done by a reputable pro - ANY alarm is only as good as the install & a decent install takes time - so cheap is not best in this case.

The M60 series Mongoose you have is by far the best of the two. If you are going to have one fitted - make sure it is done by a reputable pro - ANY alarm is only as good as the install & a decent install takes time - so cheap is not best in this case.

Thanks hot wire. I had checked out one of the honda accords and they have alarm and immobiliser built in. So unless the car does not have an alarm or something, i will not put any alarm in the car. No point wasting the manufacturer alarm.

And incase i need some1 to get the alarm fixed, are you able to do it? or could you recommend someone? (just incase i need it)

I guess not many people in this forum dont have much experience with Honda accord euro as not many people commented about how that is.

Thanks all.

Where are you located.. If Hotwire isn’t keen I can recommend someone in Auckland.

Where are you located.. If Hotwire isn’t keen I can recommend someone in Auckland.

Well i live in Avondale and work in East tamaki. So either of those places are good. Thanks.

Did know of a very good guy in Auckland but he's not there any more. Mongoose themselves could likely name good options for you up there.

I could do for you but probably easier to get done up there.

If already fitted with both alarm & immob (& it has factory remote locking) then hardly worth fitting another - & you have another remote to carry around. It can get confusing too- if the door is locked with alarm remote & unlocked with key remote - you get sirens going off in your ears.

Did know of a very good guy in Auckland but he's not there any more. Mongoose themselves could likely name good options for you up there.

I could do for you but probably easier to get done up there.

If already fitted with both alarm & immob (& it has factory remote locking) then hardly worth fitting another - & you have another remote to carry around. It can get confusing too- if the door is locked with alarm remote & unlocked with key remote - you get sirens going off in your ears.

Thanks hotwire. Guess your right, it will be a waste of money and lot complicated to have 2 alarms, i was only thinking about the alarm if the car did not come with one.

But we have bought the Honda accrod Euro L model in the weekend. Its 2006, 45,000kms bought for $25,000. Lot over the budget but liked the car. (L is the luxury model and some perks in it)

What do you guys think? is that a good buy?

About right if you ask me as it is a facelift and has leather that’s what the L means. The car was 50+k new.

About right if you ask me as it is a facelift and has leather that’s what the L means. The car was 50+k new.

i thought L means luxury. Yeah its a facelift model to normal accord euro. It has leather seats, rain sensing wipers, electronic seats, sunroof and so on. I think the brand similar model is about $47,000.