Sign in to follow this  
bmw.maniac

Petrol Smell

E30 318i '88 (M40)

I have a strong smell of petrol. It's quite bad when its cold, but is still present when warm. I notice it particulary when I turn on my fan after school, and its quite overwhelming. I was backing it up the driveway today (fairly steep) and I stood out and crouched down and and sniffed under it the car and it was very, very, very strong. As strong as the whaffs you get when filling up.

Petrol consumption however, seems relatively normal. 10.5 l/100km (is this too high?) or 480km for 50l for 100% town driving, mainly driving to school quickly (but never thrashing) when i'm late.

I'm aware this could be a number of thing, all impossible to diagnose here, but i'm just wanting some weak spots of the e30 fuel system/lines so I can investigate futhur.

Cheers,

Eddy

Guessing your checked all the clamps for the lines?. Sounds like old lines.

Id check the lines where the fuel filter and ones between fuel rail

The most common fault is under the intake manifold, where the 2 small hose pieces are. These perish and leak.

I have had a similar problem in my old e30 and it was the sensor that goes into the petrol tank. when you lifted off the back seat there was petrol around sensor. The smell was strongest when the tank was full and wasnt to bad when it was empty. replaced the sensor and that fixed the problem.