Sign in to follow this  
Napier_E36

Dash Lights Testing My Patience

I have recently found myself in a position where I have had to leave my manual 4x4 at home and drive my auto 325. Just before it got delegated the status of "not as much fun as playing in the mud" I had noticed a couple of times that the dash lights would just die from time to time. This would always happen without any obvious cause and would only be brief periods of darkness before they came back on.

The poor old girl has been waiting patiently for almost a year, and once I found myself needing an auto to get around I decided to take her in and see what it needed for a wof... To my surprise, it flew through! So I am now back to using it as my daily driver, and being auto, the only safe way I can drive myself around until my foot comes right. I took a mate for a drive up the Napier - Taupo road on Friday night, and shortly after I dropped him off, my dash lights died. I got out and checked the back end of the car - I still had tail lights (as every other vehicle I have owned, no dash lights usually = no tail lights!) so I carried on, they kept coming back on briefly then disappearing again.

Fair to say, this is really beginning to annoy me - especially trying to obey the speed limit when you can't actually see how fast you are going...

Has anyone else had this problem? I am yet to pinpoint what exactly triggers the lights to come or go, but if it keeps up I feel drastic measures may be called for (trusty old hammer?)

I would appreciate any ideas as to the cause of this - having looked in under the dash etc, I can't see anything glaringly obvious so I am hoping this is a common problem that someone else has had to deal with before to give me a tip in the right direction

Cheers

Blair