Sign in to follow this  
huff3r

Faulty Tachometer

At current i am having a litlle issue...

After having the dashboard out for 3 months and having since put it back in my tachometer no longer works.

After a little research i found my problem could possibly be the batteries in the SI board. All the Service Indicator lights, and the rest of the instruments appear to work normally however. After talking to Jeff Gray BMW in wellington they seemed to think that it may be a faulty tacho, or something else horribly expensive...

Just wondering, can the SI lights still work even though the batteries are faulty, and should i try changing the batteries first, or just listen to Jeff Gray and spend $500 odd dollars trying to fix something that might not even be broke?

Also, where can you get the batteries for the SI boards from? Dick smith?

Just removed instrument cluster, and noticed three connectors, yellow, white and blue. I have the white and blue plugs, am i supposed to have one for the yellow connector as well? I can't find one....

If I am, and thats why my tacho isn't working, does anyone know what part of the wiring loom it comes off, to help me narrow down my search?

At current i am having a litlle issue...

After having the dashboard out for 3 months and having since put it back in my tachometer no longer works.

After a little research i found my problem could possibly be the batteries in the SI board. All the Service Indicator lights, and the rest of the instruments appear to work normally however. After talking to Jeff Gray BMW in wellington they seemed to think that it may be a faulty tacho, or something else horribly expensive...

Just wondering, can the SI lights still work even though the batteries are faulty, and should i try changing the batteries first, or just listen to Jeff Gray and spend $500 odd dollars trying to fix something that might not even be broke?

Also, where can you get the batteries for the SI boards from? Dick smith?

hey man sorry i cant help but i need to change the batteries aswell as my Inspection light stays on. is it hard to change these batteries. im told its a 2-3 hour job. is this right? and where are they located? sorry dont mean to hijack your thread.

Tested SI board batteries with voltmeter, 3 volts each, suggests they are healthy... any other ides what it could be?

Update: Tacho fixed, turns out the needle was stuck on top of the needle rest, preventing it from moving at all...

Discovered it when fiddling with the other guages, i could move the needles freely, but the tacho one didnt seem to want to move at all.... hang on, whats this black thing its sitting on top of? move it and sur enough, it works now :D