Sign in to follow this  
nastnas

E36 M3 Rough Idle

hi guys

the car is a 1993 M3 NZ NEW.

after it gets to temp, the idle starts pulsing and surging between 1000 and 750 or so, also its sounds like its knocking when say for instance, i'm in 3rd around 1300rpm, then give it %50 throttle, it knocks/rattles then settles down after 1700rpm.

after putting some 98 octane gas in it, the knocking has settled down quite a bit, and its making that sound just a bit, but the rough idle is still the same.

i have ordered a Vanos seal kit ( Beisan Systems) , and will attempt that this weekend. hope that helps.

is there anything else that i can do? i plan to give the Idle valve a clean this week some time.

but other than that, i'm new to BMWs and im loving the M3, its really quite,fast,comfortable, and the handling is superb, went for a blat out to piha, and it was BEAUTIFUL! definitely loving it!

so if theres anything i should check pls let me know.

tks

Nigel

You would also need to get the DME scanned, you could also have a sensor fault..It may not be the Vanos causing the problem.. I would take a guess at camshaft position sensor or AFM

You would also need to get the DME scanned, you could also have a sensor fault..It may not be the Vanos causing the problem.. I would take a guess at camshaft position sensor or AFM

Cool. What's the procedure /cost in getting that scanned?

Cool. What's the procedure /cost in getting that scanned?

Depends who you take it to...what area do you live in ??

Depends who you take it to...what area do you live in ??

Waitakere. i hope i have not wasted the money on the Vanos seal, hopefully its old and worn and will need changing.. never thought i'd say that. :lol:

will the ECU diagnostic system reveal all faults with the car?

Waitakere. i hope i have not wasted the money on the Vanos seal, hopefully its old and worn and will need changing.. never thought i'd say that. :lol:

will the ECU diagnostic system reveal all faults with the car?

took out the garden hose and had a listen for air leaks, and did not find any hissing sounds... so thats out of the question.

I have a 318is and seem to have the same problem. First i cleaned the Idle Control Valve because it was idleing a bit rough and after that all hell broke loose. The idle is now at 1000-1200 RPM and I'm driving it with the idle control valve disconected because if I plug it in the engine stalls after I rev it .

The funny thing is when i first start it it idleing at a regular 700-800 RPM, even if the engine is already hot, but as soon as minute passes or i rev it it just sticks to it's super anoyng 1000-1200 RPM at idle.

Can anyone PLEASSSSSE HELP?

The symptoms of a clogged ICV are surges at idle or under load. Thats your best bet to start off. Even if its not the actual fault, it wouldn't help giving it a clean on a 15 y/o car.