Sign in to follow this  
martyyn

Radio problems

So my screen has a permanent blue line down it now and an intermittent red and green stripe aswell now. The last couple of weeks Ive had an additional problem where the radio/cd/tape will not work. Up until yesterday if Ive switched the car off and started it again it worked.

But as of yesterday when I turn the key to position one I get the radio and can use all the buttons on the tv. When I turn to position two I can still do everything. When I start the car is sound goes off (as normal) but the sound doesnt come back on.

I can use the knob for the obc and get all the computer stuff on the screen but none of the tv/radio buttons work and I have no sound. I can select the tv channels ok but again no sound.

Ive had a few battery problems recently and it needs a good charge. It was dead a few weeks ago and I only drive 10-15 mins to work and back so I doubt its being charged properly. Could that have anything to do with it?

Or am I looking at an excuse to upgrade to a widescreen ?

If you also loose climate air functions, check systems voltage at the ignition switch. The accessory wire is the violet one on the switch. If you dont have systems voltage there replace the ignition switch.

Systems voltage= car running and check battery voltage

Hi Glenn, I still have all the air con stuff working its only the buttons on the right of the screen that no longer respond.

So my screen has a permanent blue line down it now and an intermittent red and green stripe aswell now.

Screen contact failure. Not much you can do apart from replace the screen

The last couple of weeks Ive had an additional problem where the radio/cd/tape will not work. Up until yesterday if Ive switched the car off and started it again it worked.

But as of yesterday when I turn the key to position one I get the radio and can use all the buttons on the tv. When I turn to position two I can still do everything. When I start the car is sound goes off (as normal) but the sound doesnt come back on.

I can use the knob for the obc and get all the computer stuff on the screen but none of the tv/radio buttons work and I have no sound. I can select the tv channels ok but again no sound.

Ive had a few battery problems recently and it needs a good charge. It was dead a few weeks ago and I only drive 10-15 mins to work and back so I doubt its being charged properly. Could that have anything to do with it?

You should suspect low battery voltage, I would give the battery a decent overnight charge and then monitor radio performance.

Otherwise likely culprits are:

1. Oxidised unloader relay (switches power to radio etc). Located in boot fuseholder panel.

2. Dry joints inside the radio module. What model radio is it?

Screen contact failure. Not much you can do apart from replace the screen

Yep, we sorted that one out a few weeks ago. Widescreen is on the list but Alpina's, tyres and angel eye upgrades beat it :)

You should suspect low battery voltage, I would give the battery a decent overnight charge and then monitor radio performance.

Thats my first plan of attack

Otherwise likely culprits are:

1. Oxidised unloader relay (switches power to radio etc). Located in boot fuseholder panel.

Will have a look at that on the weekend too.

2. Dry joints inside the radio module. What model radio is it?

Its the original Jap radio that came with the car (Feb 2000 build date I think). I haven't upgraded it to a european one because it gets the only two radio stations we listen to anyway.

Its the original Jap radio that came with the car (Feb 2000 build date I think). I haven't upgraded it to a european one because it gets the only two radio stations we listen to anyway.

Could be failling power supply chip inside radio, or leaking capacitors, or dry joints.

But loot at unloader relay first

Something else Ive just thought about is that the remote has been a little odd recently too. Ive needed to be very close to the car pointing directly at the clown nose rather than being able to open the car from 20 yards previously randomly pointing at the front screen.