Sign in to follow this  
drifty325i

E30 Surge tank/swirl pot

Any of you guys fitted one? Im tempted as the last time few times ive been at the track its lacked fuel on long fast corners when the tanks under about half way, very anoying and not good for the engine??

1986 e30 v8, im running a walbro 255 external pump already, does this mean i need another walbro? I thought the early 325is had an in tank feeder pump will this work to fill the swirl tank? then use the walbro?

Any "expert" info would be great

Cheers

English series boys use this,

post-1118-1229047653_thumb.jpg

fitted in the spare wheel well normally, bottom is the feed to your walbro, top right is overflow return to fuel tank, top left is from the engine return, lower left is from your tank pump.

I thought the early 325is had an in tank feeder pump will this work to fill the swirl tank? then use the walbro?

Have a look and make sure the lift pump works (if its there!).

A surge tank like David posted is what you need - the lift pump keeps it full. You would have to mount it in the boot, unless you had something custom made and hid it under the car (might be hard to find enough space).

I bought mine from Trademe user Sinco Customs and it seems good quality etc.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Members/Listings.aspx?member=868322

He can do different types of fitting (including barbs).

Might have to get one, they are not expensive at all and ive already got the walbro pump so im half way there, will just need new lines i guess. Seems simple enough as well. Cheers

I'm going to have to do this guys, again at the track yesterday i was having issues with fuel starvation. Do we still recommend the above?

Cheers

Local is always handy.

So you'll need a pump to fill the surge tank (do you have an in-tank one?), the tank, and an external pump (the Walbro). You will also need fuel injection rated lines. Finding these without paying for braided (and all the $$ fittings) is harder than it sounds.

If you get braided, you really should use the teflon lined stuff so it doesn't smell of fuel (over time).

Edited by CamB

Local is always handy.

So you'll need a pump to fill the surge tank (do you have an in-tank one?), the tank, and an external pump (the Walbro). You will also need fuel injection rated lines. Finding these without paying for braided (and all the $$ fittings) is harder than it sounds.

If you get braided, you really should use the teflon lined stuff so it doesn't smell of fuel (over time).

I though all P/F 325i had intank pumps factory? Ill check this weekend. Definitely don't want fuel smell so ill go braided, thanks mate.

I don't suppose you have to cert the tank ?

Good question - I don't actually know the legalities of a surge tank in the boot.

If braided, you want the teflon lined stuff. The ordinary braided hose will also smell of fuel over time.

You could also consider trying to get something underbody and integrated - I remember there being a bit of room where the external pump is, but maybe not enough for something like this:

Posted Image

http://www.swmotorsport.com.au/contents/en-us/d102.html

Edited by CamB

Good question - I don't actually know the legalities of a surge tank in the boot.

If braided, you want the teflon lined stuff. The ordinary braided hose will also smell of fuel over time.

You could also consider trying to get something underbody and integrated - I remember there being a bit of room where the external pump is, but maybe not enough for something like this:

Posted Image

http://www.swmotorsport.com.au/contents/en-us/d102.html

That does look very good, cheers. I might jack the old girl up and have a look for some room

Any idea where and how much?

Mine stink!

Mine are also inside the car...

Do you have a set of alloy spanners? I wouldn't mind throwing a spanner over mine to make sure they are tight... I know speedshop has them but they are a cost i can't afford right now...

Oh will be working on the 205 tomorrow morning if you want to have a lookie... 

1) I would gladly lend alloy spanners, BUT

2) I don't have them - I use (carefully) regular imperial spanners and, ahem, a crescent wrench. So the fittings get scratched :o

Would also be keen to see you car some time though, but have had a very full day planned for me tomorrow so its not such a good day.

Can you run a surge tank under the bonnet?

I though all P/F 325i had intank pumps factory?

I have had 3 P/F cars, a 323, 325 and 318 none had intank pumps.

I have had 3 P/F cars, a 323, 325 and 318 none had intank pumps.

Dang thats not good news

Can you run a surge tank under the bonnet?

Probably not the most practical place Riley. This would mean you would have to run the walbro after the surge tank under the bonnet also. You could do this and leave the walbro where it is but then that would be 4 lines instead of 3 running back upto the engine bay. The feed from the tank pump, the return to the tank, the feed to the walbro and the feed to the engine from the walbro.

Probably not the most practical place Riley. This would mean you would have to run the walbro after the surge tank under the bonnet also. You could do this and leave the walbro where it is but then that would be 4 lines instead of 3 running back upto the engine bay. The feed from the tank pump, the return to the tank, the feed to the walbro and the feed to the engine from the walbro.

Very good point

Do you carry a spare tyre? Id be putting it in there aye most room really, theres not alot of room under the car where the external pump goes haha..

Do you carry a spare tyre? Id be putting it in there aye most room really, theres not alot of room under the car where the external pump goes haha..

Dont normally carry one, but on longer trips i do, I was thinking where the jack goes? It wont be a big one maybe 2 liters

Dont normally carry one, but on longer trips i do, I was thinking where the jack goes? It wont be a big one maybe 2 liters

a 1ltr surge tank is more than enough to feed most cars, a 650hp v8 around puke at WOT will use 1ltr of gas so any bigger is a waste of time.

i also never feed the return for the fuel rail to the surge tank as its hot fuel which does nothing for performance or trying to stop detonation.

So crunchy, assuming a fuel rail with a return, do you run it to the main tank instead:

main tank --> lift pump --> surge tank --> overflow to main tank

surge tank --> pressure pump --> excess to main tank (not back to surge tank)?

So crunchy, assuming a fuel rail with a return, do you run it to the main tank instead:

main tank --> lift pump --> surge tank --> overflow to main tank

surge tank --> pressure pump --> excess to main tank (not back to surge tank)?

lift pump to the surge tank,out of tank to feed pump---> fuel rail---->out of reg--->

to the main fuel tank, out of the top of the surge tank i put a 2.5mm hole feeding a 1/4" hose which is feed back to the main tank.

this is done to bleed any air from the surge tank and takes the piggy back effect away from the main feed pump.

you main tank acts as a better heat sink than a small surge tank,you can also run a moroso cool tank after the main feed pump to keep fuel temps down but that works better for drag racing as you use ice inside of it.