Sign in to follow this  
Jamez

Bmw e30 overheating?!?!?!?!

K so after using the new engine ( done 300k) for a bit its started overheating agian, first time it was the thermostat (previous one had broken and about 5c worth of metal missing) and that fixed the problem for 2 weeks, now it overheats to the line to the right of the center then cuts out BUT it only overheats going up hills then cools down

it also overheats while in traffic, only works properly when on the open road

now me and my father have thought up a few ways this could be happening

• That small bit of metal is blocking the block somehwere
  • Radiator is crap, it looks pretty abused
  • viscous fan, but open road driving should be enough air flow to stop overheating

we havent ruled out hairline crack, but its not loosing oil/water and nor is there any cross mixing and my father says a crack will not cool down it can only get hotter aswell as a crack should get worse over time but this has been a problem for a month now, and im not driving carefully more like trying to kill it but it just wont die :lol:

any suggestions would be much apreciated

i know its not air in the system

going to get a new second hand radiator off hellbm tmorrow

thanks in advance

sorry wrong type myns got the water comming out bottom left and in top right.

edit , its not a problem with the water pump either

Edited by Jamez

sorry wrong type myns got the water comming out bottom left and in top right.

? I was under the impression that was what my radiator did too? It's out of a manual '83 323i - upgrade from 320i.

I thought all M20's had the same flow. But I may be wrong. Good luck with your search, I'm sure Ray will have the part you need.

got a second hand radiator off HellBM and that seems to of fixed the cooling problem

the new radiator is brand new condition and seems to be alot,ALOT hotter than the old radiator, i think the problem with the old radiator was that it was just crap at releasing heat :lol:

^_^