Sign in to follow this  
Nobimmer

E30 clutch slipping

After doing the 2.5 conversion, the clutch has started slipping, but only when giving it a bit of sh*t (ie. shifting quick between gears and accelerating hard).

The clutch I put in is in way better than the old clutch ( had about 4-5mm more on both plates than the old one) and the old one never slipped at all.

Could it be a forked pressure plate/flywheel? Haven't tried bleeding the clutch yet but from past experiences, I can't see that doing anything.

Any ideas?

Cheers

Ashkan

Sometimes levering the gearbox into place can cause the gearbox input shaft seal to leak. The gearbox oil gets on the clutch and starts the slipping

Did you put in a new clutch? Or just a different old one?

Was a different old one but it was in WAY better knick than the one that was in there.

I don't have a cover on the bellhousing as the one from my 240 didnt fit the 260. Could that have anything to do with it? I guess I could make a steel plate and see if that fixes it.

Is it worth bleeding the clutch? Also have noticed that there is a (very slow) leak coming from beind the clutch pedal after a decent drive/thrash. Don't think that would affect it, but there again I wouldn't know.

fully forgot that cover was never fitted. dont think that would make a difference tho , Think i left some alloy on the back seat for you to make the cover. thrust bearing was ok clutch was reasonable new and still had the machining marks on it from new. pressure plate used was def from a 325i aswel. Hard to guess whats wrong, sounds like the pressure plate maby?

also has any one on bimmersport got the 2 bottom large bolts for the bottom of a manual gearbox? reverse torque type ones?

Yeah bro that was there. Rob at Bavarian managed to get them bolts done up tighter too haha.

I'll make one up and see if it does anything tommorow after work. But was thinking pressure plate too.

Yeah bro that was there. Rob at Bavarian managed to get them bolts done up tighter too haha.

I'll make one up and see if it does anything tommorow after work. But was thinking pressure plate too.

sweeet have another pressure plate here but if thats the case How Annoying!! ill give you a hand when i have the time to if it comes down to that.

dont think the bolts will effect it would just be tidier with them.

Edited by 323e30

Sweet, will have a quick fiddle see if I can sort it. Oh and got your vynil, will text you when I get some gas ha

Sounds like youve done a bit of mix & matching. Remove the clutch slave cylinder and check that the clutch fork has freeplay ( clearance) if it does the only thing that can cause the slipping is the pressure plate. I also find it hard to believe that the clutch plate linings on the plate you are now using are 4-5 mm thicker on both sides than the old ones, or were you just guessing that measurement ? A new plate is only about 8-10mm in total thickness. Bleeding the clutch will not have any effect on a slipping clutch. It will either be a mechanical fault you have introduced or the clamping pressure of the pressure plate.

Was a wild guestimate :D

But either way, the clutch was pretty mint.

Will check that tommorow when I get the car off the ground and see where that takes me. Oh man I cbf taking the box off again!