Sign in to follow this  
318isteve

m42 n/a build

hi there rebuilding a m42 engine before putting into my e30 and would like to know what sort of power i can see and get a good idea of what i will need to do (any rough costs would also be good)

i want rw180hp and dont want to bore it out any help or advice would be much appreciated cheers

hi there rebuilding a m42 engine before putting into my e30 and would like to know what sort of power i can see and get a good idea of what i will need to do (any rough costs would also be good)

i want rw180hp and dont want to bore it out any help or advice would be much appreciated cheers

Turbo - you'll never get anywhere near 180rwhp without one, even if you bore it out, convert to throttle bodies and run an aftermarket computer.

Go to M42club.com heaps of info there.

Agree 180rwhp will be difficult without FI or big $$$.

I cant think of antything cheap which will get you much noticable power difference

Also remember weight loss is great for acceleration so try to do a bit of stripping.

oh ok yea have been looking on there and found some relevant stuff and plenty thats not!

what sought of hp would i expect from a rebuilt engine with some intake port and polishing, head job perhaps some stiffer springs, chip, MAf conversion, cam job, lightened flywheel, cold air box and full exhaust system, with a raised compression ratio?

anyone know where i could source some solid lifters and stiffer valve springs want to rev to 8000 :)

cheers again everyone

meh, do an m50

Edited by The Gus

Check-out Total BMW mag Ap 07 issue 79 and Jan 08#88. Spend most of your money on the chassis improvements and save your money for an M3 I would be doing at this stage I reckon.

oh ok yea have been looking on there and found some relevant stuff and plenty thats not!

what sought of hp would i expect from a rebuilt engine with some intake port and polishing, head job perhaps some stiffer springs, chip, MAf conversion, cam job, lightened flywheel, cold air box and full exhaust system, with a raised compression ratio?

anyone know where i could source some solid lifters and stiffer valve springs want to rev to 8000 :)

cheers again everyone

Alot less than your goal power.

At the end of the day.... consider fitting a M52 B28 with manual & LSD. Less $$$ & so much more grunt + reliabilility

If your budget is less than $15,000 to do it properly.. go buy a beer and watch the waves form

My TI owes me in excess of $15,000. The car cost me $2,500 to buy with a stuffed gearbox. I've spent in excess of $12,000 and I still havent finished. That doesnt include labour. I've still got to do a manual conversion with UUC flywheel and fit an LSD which is probably going to set me back another $5,000 or more

Edited by *Glenn*

cheapset option of all. m20b25 t3/4 turbo. manifold from driven performance. a gsr intercooler and a 2nd hand link. run 12lb on standard internals and you will be goin pretty well