Sign in to follow this  
325_driver

Fuel pressure regulator

hey guys

Having a sluggish car, not sure what it is

Is a bit rough before and upto 2500 rpm,

and then to the red line, it doesnt sound rough,

just is extreemly sluggish. Doesnt have the kick it used to.

What symptoms can i expect from a dying fuel pressure reg,

im assuming thats the item (located on the intake manifold near the thermostat ?)

Or maybe a faulty injector ?

Thanks heaps

if it was one of what you suggested you would experience big fuel cosumtion and a decent amout of smoke.

when you say 'running rough' is it like a costant missfire or more just generaly sick sounding?

have you checked things like fuel filter. timing. air leaks. spark plugs and the like?

if it was one of what you suggested you would experience big fuel cosumtion and a decent amout of smoke.

when you say 'running rough' is it like a costant missfire or more just generaly sick sounding?

have you checked things like fuel filter. timing. air leaks. spark plugs and the like?

Fuel filter is near new, but will be replacing,

and putting some injector cleaner through the lines

To be honest it sounds like it is mis-firing or bad timing at low rpms, and high rpms sounding sick

and has lost its kick it once had. Not sure how the timing would have been put off, since the engine transplant,

anway of resetting this to correct timing if so?

New spark plugs, Leads are fine

I am hoping, i havent done damage to the crank angle sensors in the gear box some how, and this ignition curve is been thrown way off, as i had had problems with crank angle sensors, and am getting sick and tired of them.

To be honest it sounds like it is mis-firing or bad timing at low rpms, and high rpms sounding sick

and has lost its kick it once had. Not sure how the timing would have been put off, since the engine transplant,

anway of resetting this to correct timing if so?

Has the engine ever run properly in this car?

No, the moment the engine went in this shell some thing was up, and there were a few things that could have caused this, but we have never been sure

Another stab in the dark, as i hear the shell was left sitting for quite a while

possibly the fuel pump could be running like crap,

or maybe the m20b20 (original motor in shell) fuel pump doesnt have sufficient psi for m20b25?

Does this sound more like maybe a fuel pump issue, its not whining, or making any strange noises

I have a spare one at home and will replace, but still thinking the fuel pressure reg could be suspect to?

Thanks for all your help, let me know of any other things that could cause the car to run like crap, fuel related, or strange problems any one has come across in the past ?

step one. spray some brake cleaner or something like that. mabey ether around the intake manifold and vacume lines. listen for a slight change in engine tone to indicate an airleak.

step two. providing you dont have any air leaks remove the fuel line nearest the fire wall part of the rail. this is your inlet hose. put a fuel pressure guage on here. if you dont have on find someone that does. then turn ign on but dont start motor and see what pressure you get. this will determine your pump condition. refer to manual for propper specs.

step three. remove the other fuel line. the return line from the regulator. check there is fuel coming out.

. put a midyvac on the vacume hose to the regulator. apply some vacume and see if it holds it. if you dont have a midyvac suck on the hose and see if you get a mouth full of fuel.

step four. check your base idle. you cannot set this with any other engine faults or else it will all be up the shoot.

refer to manual on how to as i cant acuratly remember.

step five. once all other steps are complete throw a timing light on. i think the timing specs are around 20 deg and 5000rpm or something. again refer to the manual to make sure.

step six. if this does not fix it give it to someone who knows abit more than me or you

No, the moment the engine went in this shell some thing was up, and there were a few things that could have caused this, but we have never been sure

Are you absolutely certain you swapped all the relevant bits with the engine - ECU, airflow meter, etc.

In addition to the list above, are the fuel lines going to the correct end of the fuel rail (ie is the pump going to the right end)?

I have never swapped a B25 into a B20, and haven't looked closely enough at the differences, so can't help much beyond that.

Are you absolutely certain you swapped all the relevant bits with the engine - ECU, airflow meter, etc.

In addition to the list above, are the fuel lines going to the correct end of the fuel rail (ie is the pump going to the right end)?

I have never swapped a B25 into a B20, and haven't looked closely enough at the differences, so can't help much beyond that.

the only real differences depend on weather you use a motronic system or jet tronic system. i have a jettronic in mine atm using a 322 ecu. goes fine. still does (did) 3rd gear slides fairly easily. if you put the motronic setup in everything is different. different pullys, afm, loom, coolant hoses and bottle if you go that way. and you have to splice the loom plug by the fuse box. make sure you got the right wires in right places. the colours should just about match.

in the shell itself theres no real differences.

If this motor has never run well in this shell and used to in the old shell and everything is ok fuel wise etc I would think it may just be something like a bad earth some where in the system.

Have made the mistake of not checking earthing for motors before and have run around in circles changing things and generally blaming everyone else for not doing their jobs properly :D

Good luck with it

If this motor has never run well in this shell and used to in the old shell and everything is ok fuel wise etc I would think it may just be something like a bad earth some where in the system.

Have made the mistake of not checking earthing for motors before and have run around in circles changing things and generally blaming everyone else for not doing their jobs properly :D

Good luck with it

have ripped motor in and out, checked every earth, every where

i had a thought,

the old motor ran a TAD sluggish before i ripped it out

the new motor ran like crap when i put it in

and the only thing i havent changed over was the fuel filter/pump,

I have had a few cars where ive left standing with little gas in the tank, and after finished fiddling round 6 months later the fuel pump needs to be replaced. So wouldnt be supprised if its a fuel pump related issue, Will let every one know soon, by tuesday i hope its all fixed . . .