Sign in to follow this  
drifty325i

Heater not working

Hi Guys,

The heaters is not working in my car, its only blowing cold air, I'm pretty sure its this valve that's not working? anyone had a similar problem? Do i just replace this valve? It was not working when it was m20 powered as well.

The heater lines from the lexus v8 are fine so it has to be the valve im guessing.

It blows slightly warm air only when the car has been driven for along time indicating its only heat seepage and the valve is not opening?

Cheers for any advice.

post-204-1230187115_thumb.jpg

post-204-1230187128_thumb.jpg

Edited by Riley

Had this as well, I replace the valve and that sorted it.

Have probably got one if you need one

Guest FrantiC

Definitley the valve, Only other cause would be you have the inlet / outlet hooked up the wrong way but that can cause random heat and no heat situations.

I'm sure there was a write up somewhere for it. Just so you know make sure you have something ready to catch water while it pisses out the heater core and disconnect the firewall heater hoses before you remove the valve so you don't get your interior all wet and it helps to jack the rear of the car so you don't loose much coolant when you unhook the heater hoses from the inlet/outlet on the firewall. So it's do -able without draining all your coolant so yeah just add some water afterwards and bleed.

Edited by FrantiC

I agree with everything above but will add the following: When I did mine, keep a large towel (taken from the bathroom when wife wasn't at home) handy as it is easier to get into the tight space to catch the dripping coolant once the bulk has been drained into your container.

Suggest you also replace and seals while you are in there. I also ran a bit of sealant around each sealing ring before seating in to the appropriate place. I used Three Bond and it has worked well. You should only use a little to just coat the rings and mating surfaces as you don't want it getting into places it shouldn't.

I drained my coolant before doing the job but as the previous poster has said, you may be able to avoid this step. I only drained mine as I replaced both heater hoses at the same time.

Bought my valve I think from autohaus in the states as it was a lot cheaper than the dealer.

This would be a great time to pull out your heater core as well and check that it isn't leaking!

Edited by ducatiss

Hey guys thanks allot for all the info!! that's very handy indeed. How much would a new one cost me? or second hand? Ive noticed the early p/f ones are different to the f/l versions. Is it a mission to check the heater core for a leak?

cheers

They are either aircon or not. 3 to 400 from the dealers new.

good second hand - $80

Yes, there will be differences between pre and post face lift. And about 137 USD plus freight from https://www.autohausaz.com/index.html. They only send by express air freight so costs will be considerable but here in around 5 working days. You should cross reference part nos. If going second hand, make sure the one you are getting actually works before installing as most original ones will be on their last legs by now. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious here. Heater Core is easy to remove while you are poking around in that area. 3 or 4 pk screws and a bit of jiggling and its out. Check for signs of coolant on and around the heater core.

If ordering from overseas for anything, do it by part number where possible - ie make sure your part no matches the one you are ordering. If its for pre face lift or a 320i, often you will find parts for the U.S market 325e will fit (for cooling system components)

Edited by ducatiss

Yes, there will be differences between pre and post face lift. And about 137 USD plus freight from https://www.autohausaz.com/index.html. They only send by express air freight so costs will be considerable but here in around 5 working days. You should cross reference part nos. If going second hand, make sure the one you are getting actually works before installing as most original ones will be on their last legs by now. Sorry if I'm stating the obvious here. Heater Core is easy to remove while you are poking around in that area. 3 or 4 pk screws and a bit of jiggling and its out. Check for signs of coolant on and around the heater core.

If ordering from overseas for anything, do it by part number where possible - ie make sure your part no matches the one you are ordering. If its for pre face lift or a 320i, often you will find parts for the U.S market 325e will fit (for cooling system components)

Mate thats great advice thankyou very much