Sign in to follow this  
taraiti

bmw certified mechanics

hi there ppl i was wondering if anybody knows of any good bmw certified mechanics out in the west akl auckalnd that would not charge the world but would give some good quality of workmanship as i have a 1989 BMW 320i with a bit of electrical issues and also a suspected fuel issue's i am not the best in the world of describing a mechanical issue but just recently i fueled my car up since getting it back on the road yesterday driving around and i can smell the faint smell of fuel inside the cabin of the car, i had a look on our driveway after moving it slightly after smelling fuel i noticed that there was a small wet patch and a small trail of fuel (my driveway is a right of way and we're on a steep incline) when i got up the driveway and on to a flat bit of our driveway it stopped trailed but left a bad smell of fuel in the car could someone please read this before sending me replies of this post please "please bear with me I'm a noob "

For a start I would stop driving it until the source of the fuel leak is established and repaired as you risk a fire especially if it is coming from one of the fuel hoses in the engine bay. I would imagine that a BMW certified mechanic is going to charge you BMW rates which is fair enough. The training provided to these mechanics is usually top noch and allows them to quickly diagnose problems and effect repairs. However, most good mechanics should be able to repair the fault but time may be needed to track down the source of the leak - which on an old BMW can come from a multitude of places.

a fuel leak, (if your lucky) shouldnt be hard to find, maybe even get a mobile mechanic out, or pay one of the bimmersport members in the area 2 boxes of beer to come around and have a a crack. I had the same thing and would imaging there be some similar pipes you could check but basically

The fuel hose from the fuel filter near the fire wall, follow it to the injector rail. (that one of mine was pretty perished, and the hose clamp was barely holding it on, taking a guess, that would be my main guess.)

And the fuel return line from the fuel pressure regulator (bolted front of manifold near distributor/ rocker cover) to the fuel return line, which meets up near where the fuel filter is also.

Thats all the guessing i can do, since ive chased fuel leaks before, thats all the fuel lines i know about in a 1989 320i.

Your best bet is to ask a Bimmersport member in the area nicely, for some beer to pop round and have a crack, or just pay a mobile mechanic. I would happily look and have a search, but im not in the area.

Believe it or not e30's are not a as much of a night mare as some people make it out to be, and a mobile mechanic should be intelligent enough to find your leaks, fuel lines are pretty simple in the e30. I will try post some pictures up tommorow and show where the main fuel lines are.

the only other place which could have a leak like that, which i havent heard of, or seen.

is maybe the fuel pump, which is rear left passenger side, under the door near the wheel.

maybe some pipes have perished there. (maybe even have it running and pop your hear under for a sniff, obviously dont get too close, and dont have ignition sources!)

Or pray you dont have a cracked petrol tank, cause that could be a pricey fix.

But i dont know many fuel leaks that would cause a 'trail as you say'