Sign in to follow this  
Ryan_IPC

Buying a BMW 99' 318i with odometer that decreased by 15k?

I am very keen on buying a BMW 99' 318i E46 ( I think) on Trade Me. I had a look at carjam and found that the car's odometer decreased by 16k from 59k at 1st WOF inspection to 43k at 2nd WOF inspection. Seller said something like "the gauge meter has been changed due to fuel gauge not working properly and all records are with LTSA. The meter reads 64k and the gauge is working fine now".

This is the first time I've heard something like that and I am not mechanically minded at all. So have no idea if this is true or not and if this is a big deal. I am still very keen on the car and intend to travel to Auckland from Palmy to buy it tomorrow. I am a bit reluctant now as paying heaps of monie for it. Please help!!!

Thanks

Ryan

Id say it will be fine mate, since they had stated they changed the guage because of the fuel metre not working properly is a fairly decent reson I suppose and if the LTSA are aware of all that since it has gone through them with most things I wouldnt worry too much.

But if it does worry you its easy enough to find another car with similar low KMS as that model is pleantiful.

Welcome by the way

Does sounds like a plausible explanation but I would ask to see the paper work

Is the price good enough to take on the "risk" ?

You'll have to convince the next buyer if you ever re-sell the car again.

Id say it will be fine mate, since they had stated they changed the guage because of the fuel metre not working properly is a fairly decent reson I suppose and if the LTSA are aware of all that since it has gone through them with most things I wouldnt worry too much.

But if it does worry you its easy enough to find another car with similar low KMS as that model is pleantiful.

Welcome by the way

Thanks heaps for the advice. Compared to other ones on the market, I reckon its price is low enough for me to take on the risk. I just cant wait trying the BMW. Have owned many Jap cars and kind of sick of them. Would like to try something with character and BMW is a perfect example.

Thanks

Ryan

Does sounds like a plausible explanation but I would ask to see the paper work

Is the price good enough to take on the "risk" ?

You'll have to convince the next buyer if you ever re-sell the car again.

Thanks for your thoughts. I would definitely ask for the paperwork. I reckon price is quite reasonable compared to other similiar ones on the market. Seller asked for 8.5 grand cash for it. I also thought about possible hassle in reselling, but just so tempted to try the BMW. This is my 1st BMW ever...

if you have already bought it, enjoy the car otherwise try 320, 323, 325 before deciding

I have to agree with you there, My first i tried was a 318ti and i thought hmmmm not much get up and go, Then i found my 323i :wub: and oh yeah baby i love it.

I am very keen on buying a BMW 99' 318i E46 ( I think) on Trade Me. I had a look at carjam and found that the car's odometer decreased by 16k from 59k at 1st WOF inspection to 43k at 2nd WOF inspection. Seller said something like "the gauge meter has been changed due to fuel gauge not working properly and all records are with LTSA. The meter reads 64k and the gauge is working fine now".

This is the first time I've heard something like that and I am not mechanically minded at all. So have no idea if this is true or not and if this is a big deal. I am still very keen on the car and intend to travel to Auckland from Palmy to buy it tomorrow. I am a bit reluctant now as paying heaps of monie for it. Please help!!!

Thanks

Ryan

Dodgy repair.

If the gauge was replaced by a competent BMW mechanic, it would have been re-programmed to read the exact same kms, and would be perfect

A wrong km reading indicates it was replaced by a non-BMW tech or an amateur.

The E46 will now be generating following problems:

1. Tamper indication on odometer will be lit, as odometer kms no longer match LKM kms. Km reading is stored in multiple locations to prevent odometer fraud

2. Chassis number stored in cluster will no longer match chassis number of vehicle

3. Options and coding settings in cluster will no longer match the vehicle's fitted options - like paint codes, upholstery type, fitted options, etc

The car needs to be properly recoded to make everything match up.

Have you seen this one.

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Trade-Me-Motors/C...n-192923326.htm

Looks like better NZ history. It's had a coolant issue but if Team McM fixed it then it's probably not going to be anything to worry about.

Any jap import you buy is a risky odometer

Edited by rogan

thanks guys

you are absolutely correct.. problems already started appearing.. stupid me..please read my new topic and if possible HELP..

thanks guys

you are absolutely correct.. problems already started appearing.. stupid me..please read my new topic and if possible HELP..

take it back to the seller ?